What is this sound?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AustinH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, I have a 2017 Ram 1500 5.7 and I am trying to figure out what this noise is. Seems to be the loudest while cold and definitely louder while in drive or reverse. Almost goes away when on park or neutral. Doesn't completely go away at operating temperature. I had a shop have a listen 6 months ago and he told me it was piston slap and nothing to worry about. Doesn't really sound like the lifter issue or an exhaust leak to me, but I'm no expert. Sounds to me like it is coming from the flex plate area. Any help would be appreciated. See link below

OP
OP
A

AustinH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just removed heat shields and checked all bolts. All are good. I have 136k miles on the truck and use 5w 20 full synthetic. I also tried that Lucas oil additive, almost seems to have made it a bit louder. When I'm under the truck with it running seems like it comes from the flex plate area. Doesn't really sound like the lifter noise to me but I could be wrong.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
What brand of oil? Our hemi's like Moly (Molybdenum) which some oils lack sufficient amount of. Pennzoil, Quakerstate, Redline are a few popular brands with moly.
Here's a thread that addresses oil issues.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just removed heat shields and checked all bolts. All are good. I have 136k miles on the truck and use 5w 20 full synthetic. I also tried that Lucas oil additive, almost seems to have made it a bit louder. When I'm under the truck with it running seems like it comes from the flex plate area. Doesn't really sound like the lifter noise to me but I could be wrong.

Many users have had good results using Lube/Gard Bio Tech Engine Protectant.

There's also a great YouTube vid demo of a before and after using Lube/Gard.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Redline 5w30 has helped many on this site with noise. Try it. It makes my engine almost unnoticeable, except for the injectors . Costs more , but worth every cent in my opinion.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Redline 5w30 has helped many on this site with noise. Try it. It makes my engine almost unnoticeable, except for the injectors . Costs more , but worth every cent in my opinion.
Heck to the YES!!!

I switched to Red Line 5W30 High Performance Oil and a Royal Purple 20-820 oil filter and my HEMI is the quietest and happiest its ever been... and I'm now at 136,000Km's (purchased new in 19').

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It sounds like a little bit of piston slap switch to 5w30 synthetic also that lucas **** is No good its used for engines about to blow up to make em last a little longer thats all its good for. Also how often do you change your oil? are you orig owner or got it used?

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
It sounds like a little bit of piston slap switch to 5w30 synthetic also that lucas **** is No good its used for engines about to blow up to make em last a little longer thats all its good for. Also how often do you change your oil? are you orig owner or got it used?
I purchased brand new at the end of June 19' with call it 10km's on my truck... FFWD to today at 4+ years of ownership and I'm sitting at 136,000Km's on my truck and I just recently switched to RL HP 5W30 oil and RP 20-820 oil filter under 20,000Km's ago (I always previously used synthetic 5W20 oil and either a MOPAR or DELCO oil filter and changed at 6,000Km intervals).

Huge improvement in how my HEMI sounds and operates with this new oil and filter combo. Is it more expensive, yes! Is it worth every penny to me, yes!

I now go 5000 miles (8,000Km's) between oil/filter changes and that's a perfect time to ensure my investment keeps me and my family dependably on the road.

I plan on 500,000Km's of ownership experience with my 19', and through the brain-trust in this forum I fully believe I will now achieve this.

I use 91 fuel and this oil and filter combo and drive my HEMI like it's supposed to be driven. I am hyper diligent on my predictive and preventative maintenance, and because this truck is my lifeblood to my career success, it is worth going this route to ensure I am successful, and more so that my daughter and me are safe in this truck every single day we are in it ;)

OP
OP
A

AustinH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for all the responses guys. I am the 2nd owner, I have owned it since February of this year. When I bought the truck it had slightly higher idle hours than drive hours which is crazy to me and obviously horrible for your engine. I've only done 1 oil change so far using penzoil 5w 20 high mileage full synthetic. I will definitely try the Red Line 5w 30 high performance oil and RP filter though. Also I disconnected my injectors one at a time today to see if I could pinpoint a cylinder. The noise definitely got quieter when I disconnected cylinder 5. Now I'm excited to do an oil change even the I have 80% life left. Lol.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks for all the responses guys. I am the 2nd owner, I have owned it since February of this year. When I bought the truck it had slightly higher idle hours than drive hours which is crazy to me and obviously horrible for your engine. I've only done 1 oil change so far using penzoil 5w 20 high mileage full synthetic. I will definitely try the Red Line 5w 30 high performance oil and RP filter though. Also I disconnected my injectors one at a time today to see if I could pinpoint a cylinder. The noise definitely got quieter when I disconnected cylinder 5. Now I'm excited to do an oil change even the I have 80% life left. Lol.
You can get Redline oil and Royal Purple filters at Mopac on 16th ave in Calgary,JB's also carries it,but sometimes their selection of Royal Purple filters leaves a bit to be desired

OP
OP
A

AustinH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, I was just looking up where to purchase. The filter for my 2017 shows a different part number than the one you mention though?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230808_183145_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230808_183145_Samsung Internet.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 3

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Don't be set on what the EVIC says regarding idle and drive hours.
Mine has changed several times since I purchased new in 19' ;)
This is a known issue with our trucks in that this logger is quite inaccurate.

Recommend you go with 5W30 Red Line High Performance synthetic oil and the Royal Purple 20-820 oil filter and change every 5000 miles (8,000Km's).

Perhaps request an oil sample collection kit from Blackstone and send in for a Used Oil Sample analysis & post up, too. This will net you inside observation on the internal health of your HEMI ;)

EDIT - the Royal Purple 20-820 oil filter is a tad larger and still fits the stock 5.7 HEMI application ;)

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't be set on what the EVIC says regarding idle and drive hours.
Mine has changed several times since I purchased new in 19' ;)
This is a known issue with our trucks in that this logger is quite inaccurate.

Recommend you go with 5W30 Red Line High Performance synthetic oil and the Royal Purple 20-820 oil filter and change every 5000 miles (8,000Km's).

Perhaps request an oil sample collection kit from Blackstone and send in for a Used Oil Sample analysis & post up, too. This will net you inside observation on the internal health of your HEMI ;)

EDIT - the Royal Purple 20-820 oil filter is a tad larger and still fits the stock 5.7 HEMI application ;)

Where in Ontario are you obtaining the RP filters?

Tom Williams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My truck is making the exact noise (82k). It’s getting traded in next week on a Cummins, I love the ram lineup but the hemi issues are not worth it.

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check torque converter bolts to flex plate. I’ve seen them loose before. In many different vehicles. V6 mustangs had issues were they would get loose & cause noise , vibration. Some 80’s gm’s as well. It maybe be lifters or exhaust. As they have issues

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357