what point to re calibrate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry, i'm new to this stuff.

I ordered my Bilsteins for my 2016 4x4 3.92 LS
I plan on running between a 33-34 tire (not sure yet) I understand that the bigger tire will slightly throw off the speedo, but i'm more worried about the computer. (more like the calibration between the wheels, computer, motor, and trans)
So what is the largest size tire I can go to before I need to worry about this.
One of the threads that I read said that you can change up about 3 tire sizes before you have to re calibrate.
If a stock tire is 275/60 then can I go up 3 sizes (285/60, 295/60,) to a 275/65? (34.1" ) or does that mean stock is a 33" so I can go up (34, 35) up to 36 before I have to re calibrate.
I would really like to run a 275/65/20, but i'm trying to keep things as simple as possible as my only off road time is yard work.
Thanks

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I went from stock 33s to 35s and used a hypertech speedo calibrator to adjust everything. My truck speedo showed 3mph slower than the gps. They are dead on now. If you decide to use one make sure you actually measure the tire and don't just assume the 35 is really a true 35. Odds are that it isn't.

Cmsharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Tiresize.com shows you speed changes. For a 275/65/20 60 would be about 62. You can get the dealer to do it for 150 bucks? For a 34 inch tire I dont know if I would bother

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What is it that you are concerned may happen with that combo of components you mentioned as it relates to changing tire size?

OP
OP
cike

cike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What is it that you are concerned may happen with that combo of components you mentioned as it relates to changing tire size?
The thread that I read that said you could go up 3 sizes also said that changing the tire sizes more than three and not re-calibrating could get the computer motor and tranny out of wack and cause problems. I'm assuming due the shifting being off, but i'm not sure about that.
I have been reading so much stuff about lifting, leveling and tire size changes that I have no idea where I read this at now.
I also have no idea what a tire size change could do to the warranty should I have any issues down the road. My truck only has 10k miles on it right now, so I kinda have to keep this stuff in mind while I do any changes.
If the dealer can redo it for $100 or so, and if that would keep my warranty in good shape, I have no problem doing that.
I also know that from 30 years of riding/customizing motorcycles, that people on these forums tend to know more than most of the people working in the dealerships due.
If Bryan28 is like mine and is only off by a couple MPH I can't see where that could cause much of a problem.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
I bought my d with 275/60/20's. I changed my tipcm and then programmed it in, while doing that, an option came up to calibrate wheel size, I had no idea that these were not original size wheels, so it was calibrated and let me tell you what a difference in the shift pattern omg so much different, feels like a whole new different truck. So imho I would get them calibrated no matter what size you go. Good luck bud.

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The dealer tried to calibrate mine when I had 35s put on but they couldn't. Their equipment only lets them adjust for stock sized tires Ram uses. I also confirmed this by calling a different dealership as well.

I mainly did it, other than i didn't want to do basic math when setting my cruise control, because i figured that over time there could be a wide variance between shown mileage and actual miles driven. And to a lesser extent the mpg's might not be accurate if it was off.

Last edited:

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Find a private garage that has the right programming equipment.

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are definitely guys in the forum that can give you more info than the dealers! Lol. Many in here are leveling and putting on different tires and I have never heard of anyone having any warranty issues. I can see how the shift points can change, but not to cause anything detrimental to happen. I am all for recalibrating merely for the fact that the mileage remains accurate. I am surprised it is not illegal to not recalibrate and maintain true mileage since mileage plays a role in resale value. My truck was run for a year without a calibration by the previous owner, so I am sure it has more miles on it than it really says!

OP
OP
cike

cike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, I ran back across what I read about recalibrating the speedo. it was not a thread but in an artical in this months "Off Road Adventures" magazine (a 4 wheel parts catalog basically)
518c58cabb7261fa1d13160951d785e1.jpg
I also stopped at my dealers (dodge not drugs lol) today and asked the service area about changing tire sizes. They said that warranty would not be an issue with up to a 35 tire change. They said just bring it in to get it hooked up to get the new tire size entered. I asked how much it was to get the new tire size recalibrated and he said about $50. I can't argue with that price.
He didn't say anything about limited tire sizes to select from, but I didn't ask either.
Doesn't sound like it is going to be much of an issue.

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IMO, "wreak all kinds of havoc" is a strong statement and implies it will more than likely happen. I'm not saying something can't, but I don't see a lot of talk about it. I personally don't care for 4 Wheel Parts, they wanted $2800 to put an $1100 procomp kit on my old 07. A little ridiculous to pay $1700 for the labor on that install, to say the least. I think they exceeded the fair going rate for labor on that quote. I lose trust in business that pull that crap. Regardless, I encourage the calibration, it just makes good sense all around!

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
im waiting for rough country to come out with their calibrator... supposed to be 139.00.. currently in testing for the ram

ddetta88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
im waiting for rough country to come out with their calibrator... supposed to be 139.00.. currently in testing for the ram
Same here. Dealer who did my back up cam activation and seemed really knowledgeable about accessories and what not told me they could recalibrate it but if have to buy the aftermarkwt tool which was 400$ not including the labor.

I thought that was odd since I could just order the device and do it myself.

Another dealer told me they can't recalibrate but he also quoted me 150$ to program the back up cam sales code where as the other dealer did it for 55$

So who knows.

If I can program it for under 200$ I'd be happy

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would do it if you went to 35's. I didn't notice too much of a difference with 33's but I did when I had 35's

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk