What started as a 10 minute catch can install....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
I finally got time along with warmer temps to install my UPR catch can. with a laundry list of things to get done, this install is as straight forward and simple, even for a rookie "mechanic" like me.

i open my hood and the first thing that stands out to me is the amount of dust. ive only owned this truck for around 3000 miles. surprised how much dust there was for this time of year.

first step i need to do is remove intake tube from cai box and throttle body. i go to loosen clamp on TB and i see a gap where the tube was barely on the TB. so the simple CC install turned into taking the cai apart and cleaning everything. i also did the best i could to clean the upper section of the TB.
after i put it all back together i drove the truck around 11 miles. what should i do to clean out the TB? should i be concerned?

i also cant believe people pay upwards of $400 for these mopar cai. i dont really see how they are worth it. whats $400 worth? the box doesnt even seal against fender well (see pic).

as for the upr cc. its a nice unit. one issue i had with it was the short hose was about .5 to 1" too long (i know i should have measured first and cut it). for the life of me i couldnt get the hose off after installing it. this caused the cc to be a little off from vertical. then the long hose was about an inch too short. as you can see in the pic its pretty tight. a little more slack would have been nice. IMG_20190223_123816.jpg IMG_20190223_130002.jpg IMG_20190223_132821.jpg IMG_20190223_144153.jpg IMG_20190223_144116.jpg

jessie_m

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recently installed the same catch can and initially had the hoses setup the same way with the same issue. Contacted the seller on amazon for clarification on house routing and was told it didn't matter. Someone posted a response on amazon claiming from upr that basically says to swap where the hoses land at the catch can. I purchased a slightly shorter bolt and used a single spacer on the z bracket to snug up nicely to the engine.

OP
OP
16RamHemi

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
i actually tried using one spacer. got bolt all the way in to find that it was a good 1/16 to 1/8 too long. so i took it out and put both spacers on. i think it will be fine how it is. like i said, those hoses are nearly impossible to come off. once i got home from that 11 mile drive, i checked the bolt and it didnt loosen a bit. ill keep my eye on it. ill check the can in 500 or so miles to see what has accumulated.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
I would definitely change the oil/filter ASAP. (Just Me)

Most of the fine dirt/dust/debris that was sucked into the 5.7L through that gap ended up at the bottom of the engine --->Oil!

I wouldn't depend to much on the oil filter to catch it all.

This is just my OCD.
also I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I didn't remove the whole TB and give it a proper cleaning with the proper spray cleaner!

I'm not your normal owner!
I as well have never been a die hard fan of CAI - The only one I myself would consider is the S&B.

The addition of the CC was a smart choice.

Last edited:

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
i open my hood and the first thing that stands out to me is the amount of dust. ive only owned this truck for around 3000 miles. surprised how much dust there was for this time of year.
I have the same DUST issue in Bangor ! IMO it is from the sand when it dries out :O . The perks of living in MAINE in the winter lol

OP
OP
16RamHemi

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
I would definitely change the oil/filter ASAP. (Just Me)

Most of the fine dirt/dust/debris that was sucked into the 5.7L through that gap ended up at the bottom of the engine --->Oil!

I wouldn't depend to much on the oil filter to catch it all.

This is just my OCD.
also I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I didn't remove the whole TB and give it a proper cleaning with the proper spray cleaner!

I'm not your normal owner!
I as well have never been a die hard fan of CAI - The only one I myself would consider is the S&B.

The addition of the CC was a smart choice.

i have already purchased redline 5w30 for the next change. was going to wait a bit longer. now i will do it sooner. being february in maine without a garage, removing and cleaning the tb may be tough. is there anything simpler i could do to get me by?

OP
OP
16RamHemi

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
I have the same DUST issue in Bangor ! IMO it is from the sand when it dries out :O . The perks of living in MAINE in the winter lol

yeah i agree. dirt everywhere. open the hood and look down and its really wide open for stuff to get up into engine bay

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Hey in the end, good catch. I'm a little suprised that didn't throw a code. A uoa of your oil will tell you if dirt got through in the forum of a silicone reading and cut open your oil filter and see, if you feel like it. Nothing you can really do about it now, but if you were curious.

Before you do an oil change you might want to run redline s1 through there, if you want to wait 1,000 miles before changing oil. A entire bottle and some good gas. I don't like doing this with a fresh oil change.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357