What to do

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jfrano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Sold my 17 Q7 to get a pickup to tow a soon to be purchased 27’ Ranger Tug+trailer 8,100 lbs dry.

So I’ve been looking at the Rams to tow the boat and use as a second vehicle. Coming off the Q7, the RAM would come the closest to satisfying my wife and my need for luxury and a smooth ride. However I’m getting a little nervous reading the discussions on payload, the Rams being 2300 pound payload capacity.
The Ford F-150 has almost 1000 pounds more capacity and the neat dial to control backing up a trailer. Of course it’s not as luxurious or smooth and that would be a hard pill to swallow.

What to do?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Drive them both and pick the one you like better.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To get that 1000 payload increase requires a special package, I would be willing to bet the ride is a bit stiff.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
F150 offers over 3k... impressive. But remember ram sacrifices pay load for comfort. As others said drive both..... and then show us pics of your new Ram!

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
It'll depend on how far and much you're towing. A few miles to dunk it in the water, buy whatever you want / like. If you're dragging to Florida so you can use it for more than 3 months a year, buy a 3/4 ton truck.

Kevin C

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure when they would be available, but can't you get air helper springs (not sure exactly what they are called - I've never had them myself)? Not sure if they actually increase capacity, or just control the squat when towing, but might be worth looking into. It may help get you what you need for the Ram, then deactivate it when you are not towing to have that smooth RAM ride.
Just a thought.

OP
OP
J

Jfrano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Maybe I’ll wait for the new Ram 2500 (Jan?) should clone much of what I like regarding the 1500; interior and ride, etc.

atom13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Na
Engine
Na
When comparing payload and towing capacity you should compare the exact trucks you would purchase. Those numbers vary depending on trim levels and accessories. The numbers you see on tv are maximum barebones trims... work trucks. The more stuff attached to the vehicle (leather, sunroof....) the less weight YOU can carry or tow...

Sean747-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hi guys, first time Ram owner and first time post. I have to say driving the 2019 Ram Limited...

Amazing!

It's the best ride I've experienced so far. Coming from Lexus SUV to the limited. Its definitely amazing how smooth the ride is. My Fiance just bought a new 2018 f sport and she was amazed how Luxurious/quiet the Ram is.

I drove all the new current truck models and still picked the 2019 limited based on my needs.

Sorry if it's a little off topic, but I love this thing!

Towing have no personal experience yet. Drive and satisfaction = 100 % happy!