What to look for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joeb905

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hey everyone,

I have a 2013 ram 1500 and I want to buy a second truck that is cheaper that I can take off roading with me and not worry about scratching the paint on and that kind of thing. There are several second gen rams that I like but before I go out and look at them I want to know what to look for. Is there anything in particular to look for that I should know about before purchasing? Thanks in advance for any help you have to offer

Joe

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Don't mess around 2500 360 (5.9) 5 spd stick.

As per a comp test is in order on whatever you buy.

5.2/5.9

Bad plenum gaskets.
Cracked heads.
Somewhat iffy auto trannys (46re).
losey oil sending units.

1500's

Weak rear 9.25 lsd.
Weak front unit bearings.
I have seen more than enough nv231 xcases on the ground over the years.

It will not handle like your 13, steer like your 13, get mpg like your 13, ride like your 13.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
^Could not sum it up any better.

Birddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bright White 3500 Laramie 4X4 Long Bed
Engine
6.7 Cummins TD, 3.73
If you're going to be worried about scratching paint it seems like you may be looking to drive in tight quarter spaces. In that case you may want a vehicle that says JEEP on the side. They are built small for a reason. Besides that, they are great rock climbers and easy to find off road parts for like snorkels if you plan on being in deep water.

I don't have a Jeep myself so I just take my 2500 out into the boonies to have fun and get her dirty. So far so good. I've had it in water that went over my hood before (yes, truck was lifted). Talk about scary!

ADudeOnSkis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318/5.2 Magnum
Don't mess around 2500 360 (5.9) 5 spd stick.

As per a comp test is in order on whatever you buy.

5.2/5.9

Bad plenum gaskets.
Cracked heads.
Somewhat iffy auto trannys (46re).
losey oil sending units.

1500's

Weak rear 9.25 lsd.
Weak front unit bearings.
I have seen more than enough nv231 xcases on the ground over the years.

It will not handle like your 13, steer like your 13, get mpg like your 13, ride like your 13.

What he said. Dont discount a 12 valve Cummins either. Depending on how tight of spaces you're thinking of taking her into, you may want to consider a smaller vehicle (Jeep, Dakota, even one of those.... you know those import things that are named after a Star Wars character), but if its just brush that you're worried about, Rhino Liner, buy/build an offroad bumper, dont worry about dodging stuff, RAM IT!

RangerWeaver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7L
What he said. Dont discount a 12 valve Cummins either. Depending on how tight of spaces you're thinking of taking her into, you may want to consider a smaller vehicle (Jeep, Dakota, even one of those.... you know those import things that are named after a Star Wars character), but if its just brush that you're worried about, Rhino Liner, buy/build an offroad bumper, dont worry about dodging stuff, RAM IT!

Ain't that why they call them rams

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
^^^ Ram forum lol not heep. It is a nice heep mind you.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
^^^ Just picking on the Jeep owners man nothing serious was meant.

Edit I have posted more than enough GM photos on here.

Last edited: