What truck do I have?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sauce09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Alright I'm prepared to get laughed at on here. My question is how the hell do I find out which truck I have? This is my first of what I think to be MANY Dodge trucks.
I was trying to get a part from Autozone, and they have 2 different engines for my truck. I own an 08 Ram 1500 4 door Lone Star Edition with a Hemi 5.7L rear drive only. Autozone shows 8 CYL 2 5.7L SFI or 8 CYL D 5.7L. So what is the difference? How can I tell? Is it in the VIN number?

Also what is the difference in SLT SXT and all that and which do I have?

I know these are probably stupid questions, but I'm new to Rams. Well... new to trucks period. I've only owned cars and motorcycles before.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Alright I'm prepared to get laughed at on here. My question is how the hell do I find out which truck I have? This is my first of what I think to be MANY Dodge trucks.
I was trying to get a part from Autozone, and they have 2 different engines for my truck. I own an 08 Ram 1500 4 door Lone Star Edition with a Hemi 5.7L rear drive only. Autozone shows 8 CYL 2 5.7L SFI or 8 CYL D 5.7L. So what is the difference? How can I tell? Is it in the VIN number?

Also what is the difference in SLT SXT and all that and which do I have?

I know these are probably stupid questions, but I'm new to Rams. Well... new to trucks period. I've only owned cars and motorcycles before.

As for your first question. Weather you have a 2 or a D (it really doesn't matter) is in your vin number. I don't remember which one exactly. For some reason wanna say the eighth digit.

SXT is the base model version of the rams. SLT is one class up. If you own the Lonestar it's the SLT Lonestar edition.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Right, it is the 8th digit in your vin, it should be a D or a 2....D is the regular 5.7, The 2 might be the NON MDS Hemi they use in the 2500's and 1500 MegaCabs. On the 2012's a 2 in the 8th VIN digit means the CNG 5.7.

OP
OP
Sauce09

Sauce09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Alright thanks. I have an 08 and the 8th dig is a 2. So must be a NON MDS. So whats really the difference between non mds and mds?

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
From what I can find Adam has it backwards, and the 2 is the MDS engine while the D is the non-MDS engine. MDS stands for Multiple Displacement System, which is what shuts down 4 cylinders when under less than 20% throttle. All HEMI engines in the 1500s have it after 2006, no questions about it. This would make sense as my 08 was also a 2.

Bigmoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 08 ram and the 8th digit is a 2 not a D. So my question is I'm trying to get a fuel pump will the one for the D work for my truck.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
MDS stands for Multiple Displacement System, which is what shuts down 4 cylinders when under less than 20% throttle. All HEMI engines in the 1500s have it after 2006, no questions about it. This would make sense as my 08 was also a 2.

No, not less than 20% throttle because my Charger will engage MDS at 85mph on cruise control lol. MDS requires inputs from throttle position, engine load, etc before it engages. Not ALL hemis after 2006 have it. If we're speaking strictly trucks, any 5.7 in a 2500/3500 does not have it nor any hemi in front of a stick shift. The 6.4's have it as well with an automatic. Cars are the same way. Automatic 5.7 & 6.4/392 cars have MDS, while stick shift 5.7 & 6.4/392 Challengers do not. The Hellcat nor Demon 6.2's do not have it.

Edit: Sorry, I totally missed the '1500s' when I quoted your post.

Last edited: