Whats biggest thing you've towed with your 1500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bashby80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2014 30' travel trailer

Just picked up out new/first travel trailer. Dry weight is about 5,600 lbs and about 700 lbs on the hitch. It pulls just fine, but didn't like the steep hills here. Had to pull over due to overheating engine. I did the E-fan mod, but putting the stock twin fan back on to see of that helps.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Gtsum27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
looks like you have some adjustments to make on the wd hitch with that trailer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Gtsum27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
PS, good looking camper! We are looking to get one before year end

Tommygun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So far this is the biggest thing. Dry weight is 4790 lbs and it's 23'8" hitch to bumper. The truck does awesome and it feels really stable even in a crosswind and when passing semi's. Gonna have to say I'm a big fan of the 8-speed when towing it's always in the powerband and feels really smooth.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 93

h2oman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just picked up out new/first travel trailer. Dry weight is about 5,600 lbs and about 700 lbs on the hitch. It pulls just fine, but didn't like the steep hills here. Had to pull over due to overheating engine. I did the E-fan mod, but putting the stock twin fan back on to see of that helps.
image.jpg

Really need to readjust that hitch. Nice rig though.

h2oman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So far this is the biggest thing. Dry weight is 4790 lbs and it's 23'8" hitch to bumper. The truck does awesome and it feels really stable even in a crosswind and when passing semi's. Gonna have to say I'm a big fan of the 8-speed when towing it's always in the powerband and feels really smooth.

Outback Trailers RULE.:peace:
2012-06-21_20-14-46_615-1.jpg

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks!
I didn't mention in the first post that I do not have a distribution hitch. It's just on a ball in the hitch. I should be getting a distribution hitch soon.

Congrats; sweet unit!
Even if you get the WD hitch first, I would get those bags in and air them up before making final adjustments to the hitch. You need to get the truck at final towing height first. Hitch adjustments are easy, and will def. make a difference in how it tows.
I'll be watching for your followup on whether the factory fans work better for you for towing. I didn't think the e-fan mod sounded very tow-friendly, but that's just my $.02. Our temps have stayed surprisingly close to normal even when pulling through the Rockies.

toofart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 8 spd
Gonna have to say I'm a big fan of the 8-speed when towing it's always in the powerband and feels really smooth.

Good to know. I got the 8 spd with the 3.92 gears because I tow a 7200 lb enclosed car hauler once in a while, I figured the extra gears would help.

dsent

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab Laramie
Engine
6.7 cummins diesel
bashby80

That is a nice truck and trailer comb,that trailer is pretty big.

I do not think you will like MPG when towing that trailer.

Does the trailer have electric brakes on both axles,I sure hope so,that is alot to get stopped.

Remember you are responsible for the load you tow and those around you on the road.

Enjoy your trailer,safe journeys.

That dealer get a huge "FAIL" for even letting you hook up your truck that way even for a test drive!!

Looking at that first pics makes me cringe with all that extra weight on the truck because receiver with ball needs to be raised 2-6 inches to level the trailer.

Why a dealer would not make sure you are safe and so you could have the best possible "TEST DRIVE" to see if your truck could pull that weight to give the possible ride and handling while enjoying your test drive and possible future purchase, is their really poor knowledge, of the products and of their representation about what they sell and service!!!

Sure would make me think about having any service work or warranty repairs that you might need done by them!

Yes first think raise that receiver to level your trailer.

You will need WD hitch with dual sway control.

From looking at post here on RF with guys with 1500's pulling that big you will want air bags for stability.

Last edited:

bashby80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Congrats; sweet unit!
Even if you get the WD hitch first, I would get those bags in and air them up before making final adjustments to the hitch. You need to get the truck at final towing height first. Hitch adjustments are easy, and will def. make a difference in how it tows.
I'll be watching for your followup on whether the factory fans work better for you for towing. I didn't think the e-fan mod sounded very tow-friendly, but that's just my $.02. Our temps have stayed surprisingly close to normal even when pulling through the Rockies.

I should have my bags by end of this week hopefully, and I'll keep your tip in mind. I'll be sure to post an update after all is said and done. Thanks for your $0.02. Haha.

bashby80

That is a nice truck and trailer comb,that trailer is pretty big.

I do not think you will like MPG when towing that trailer.

Does the trailer have electric brakes on both axles,I sure hope so,that is alot to get stopped.

Remember you are responsible for the load you tow and those around you on the road.

Enjoy your trailer,safe journeys.

That dealer get a huge "FAIL" for even letting you hook up your truck that way even for a test drive!!

Looking at that first pics makes me cringe with all that extra weight on the truck because receiver with ball needs to be raised 2-6 inches to level the trailer.

Why a dealer would not make sure you are safe and so you could have the best possible "TEST DRIVE" to see if your truck could pull that weight to give the possible ride and handling while enjoying your test drive and possible future purchase, is their really poor knowledge, of the products and of their representation about what they sell and service!!!

Sure would make me think about having any service work or warranty repairs that you might need done by them!

Yes first think raise that receiver to level your trailer.

You will need WD hitch with dual sway control.

From looking at post here on RF with guys with 1500's pulling that big you will want air bags for stability.

I did the numbers on the weight and power, and I've been an Air Force Vehicle Operator (tractor/trailer combos, wreckers, misc large towing) for the past 7 years, so I knew how to pull, but I agree that the dealership should've still been like "let's hook it up."
I'll be sure to check if there are brakes on both axels, and yea I hate the mileage already. I miss my Cummins.
My current hitch is a 3 ball on one hitch so no height adjustability there, but once I get that WD hitch I'll make sure it's nice and level.

Thanks again guys for the tips and compliments! I'll keep y'all posted.

Jeepkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 TRX 4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Towed this weekend our 29ft Lacrosse luxury lite,

Went across the scales and trailer weighed in at 6200lbs and the truck was not happy with it back there. we can take hills at 60 but its sucking gas down like crazy

Attachments

• 970579_568349173210455_229997777_n.jpg
    970579_568349173210455_229997777_n.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 99

vonshep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
get-attachment.aspx

erie_one

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 laramie 4x4 quad cab
Engine
hemi
Brought this home yesterday. Roughly 150 mile trip back went very smooth. 7550 empty.

Attachments

• IMG_20130727_123017_000.jpg
    IMG_20130727_123017_000.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 124

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
More of the same... 7015lbs loaded, 32' long (35.5' bumper to ball). It tracks dead straight thanks to the Reese dual cam sway control setup. We average between 8.7-11MPG depending on terrain.

Attachments

• towingJul19_13.jpg
    towingJul19_13.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 111