Whats my truck worth?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
Hello everyone. Im planning ahead now, but I plan to sell ol daisy in the spring time. Daisy is a 1997 Ram 2500 with the 5.9 V8 and the 46RE. 4X4. Club cab. It has about 221K miles on it. I have no history on it besides my own. When it comes time to sell, heres what it'll have done to it.

New:
Intake gasket with alum pan
180 degree t stat
Coolant bypass hose
(Maybe) New O2 sensor
Valve cover gaskets
Valve stem seals
Timing chain and gears
Timing chain cover
Water pump
Oil pan gasket
(Maybe high volume) oil pump
Trans service w filter (adjust bands, new fluid, etc)
Fr driveshaft u joints (if they squeak again)
Rear pinion seal
Steering box output shaft seal
Shocks and struts all around (maaaaybe)
Fix the heat
Fix the AC
Fix E brake

Recently has:
RF wheel bearing with 100 mi
LF U joint with 7k mi
Right leaf spring shakle with 4k mi
Trans service with filter 10k miles ago
Oil changes every 5k with Mobil 1 high milage full synthetic
Front diff reseal with new fluid 500 mi ago
Spark plugs 50 mi ago
Cap/rotor/wires 8k ago
Recent alignment done by myself personally (done right) 10 mi ago

*all above numbers obviously will rise as truck is a daily driver - approx 20 mi / day*

Comes with:
Flowmaster Super 44 to side dump with dual tips
14x3 air filter
Fat Bobs Garage 2.5" Leveling kit
New RF headlight and 2 new fog lights

Only things that don't work that I don't intend to fix is the cruise control. Somebody snipped the wires going to the module and I don't really want to find out why.

In terms of factory options, i looked up the build sheet a while back.
Towing package with trailer brake, camper special, heavy duty package. Power windows and locks. Basically all the bells and whistles.

Now onto the body and interior. Driver and pass seats have the typical 2nd gen tear in the corner of the seat but they have covers on them. Ceiling has a small rip. Dash has a small hairline crack up by the windsheild. Otherwise, the interiors in pretty good condition. No big rips or tears or anything. No rear doors, the seats fold forward.

The exterior...ehhh heres where it gets bad. Both front fenders are pretty rotted, currently filled with expanding foam and bondo, as well as painted. Doesnt look bad. It needs rockers. Bed has tiny spots above the wheel wells but is rock solid otherwise. Has a bedliner insert. Those are the only rot problems, body is solid otherwise. Frame looks great, 100% solid all around. Has no major dents, just small ones. Lots of scratches and paint flaws, but they're small in size.

Heres a pic. Truck will not come with the 35s or 20s. It will come on either stock 4th gen 285/75/18 or nice 2nd gen 16s with 31 or 33 tires if i can find a cheap used set. Put the level to work.

It comes with all the stickers. Which sucks...cuz i love my stickers. :(

96679b6d530dd127471e819957febec4.jpg

5a748d1e51de4fe2f0845c1427281a6d.jpg

2a216918189a4ea2f1bdfabc1b516acf.jpg

I live in upstate NY. I was going to list at $5,200 and let people work me down. Whats a good number to consider? With all the work ill have done, itll be a good first truck for somebody or a good work truck.

Thnx guize

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i don't know your area very well but i have to say you may want to avoid mentioning spay foam and bondo in your add if you even want to sell it. also the price seems a bit high to me. i also live in the salt belt so the body is at least half the value. if you got something that is going to require a lot of work to save and keep on the road then someone might not be as interested in it and your asking more than toy value.

OP
OP
L

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
i don't know your area very well but i have to say you may want to avoid mentioning spay foam and bondo in your add if you even want to sell it. also the price seems a bit high to me. i also live in the salt belt so the body is at least half the value. if you got something that is going to require a lot of work to save and keep on the road then someone might not be as interested in it and your asking more than toy value.
Yeah, $52 is a bit high. Ive been influenced by other ridiculous prices i guess. $4600 would probably be more reasonable.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
when i am looking at a vehicle i look at it as how much is the vehicle worth if i have to cut it up and sell it as parts. i know rust repair can sometimes be a lot more work than some people think.

Joe w.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
The ones around here with that many miles sell for around 2800-4000 depending on condition of body and interior

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Personally I'd start at 5500 and expect some haggling down. It IS a 3/4 ton and if the motor and trans are healthy, having that and the stronger axles damn near makes the truck worth it. Yes it had some mileage on it, no it's not perfect, but the body looks to be in pretty good shape which is rare for these trucks. Honestly i wouldn't settle for less than 3500-4k

Joe w.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
Damn I was thinking 1/2 ton prices yeah I wouldn't take less than 4000 or 4500 being a 3/4

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
I sold my 1/2 ton for $5400 little more than a month ago. Depends on the buyer. I got lucky and had a buyer who loves these trucks, enough to pay $1600 higher than blue book value

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
L

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
Cool. Im a little happier hearing all that, I was a little confused saying I was going to put in all this work and then not even be able to get $42 for it.

Not a bad return considering I got it for $2,000 and a 4 hour drive ;)

Im gonna miss that damn thing when its gone...but its gonna leave a Cummins sized hole in my heart that I intend to fill.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Honestly how you present the sale on this could mean a big difference in value imo. Clean the absolute hell out of it and shine it up really good and you'll be closer to your price. As it sits I'd say around 4ish

Mohpar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Going to say 4-4.5 because it looks pretty good and is a 4x4

2nd gen gassers sell in my area (S. Texas) sell from anywhere from $1500-$4000+ depending on condition.

Make sure you have good pictures
Try not to add anything about you doing work on it yourself
Don't mention anything about bondo or filler, but don't lie if someone asks you about it
Clean the hell out of the interior and exterior and I'm sure you'll snag a buyer

OP
OP
L

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
Honestly how you present the sale on this could mean a big difference in value imo. Clean the absolute hell out of it and shine it up really good and you'll be closer to your price. As it sits I'd say around 4ish

Oh im great at selling stuff and presenting things. I've flipped more bikes and quads on Craigslist and Facebook pages than i can count.

rammanriley20

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Mag
Personally id say its a $4000 truck. the miles kill it, but being a 2500 saves it

OP
OP
L

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
Personally id say its a $4000 truck. the miles kill it, but being a 2500 saves it
Agreed.

I found a few cummins trucks for $3k, needing body work. I could roll with that, $1k to spend on some doors and a bed...

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Honestly it depends on your area. Our opinions won't reflect what people in your region look for.

Where I'm at, the 2nd gens have shot up like hell. I sold my 99 SLT with 219k on it back in 2010 for $3000, and that was after it being listed for almost a full month. My brother just picked up a 2000 that's beaten and bruised for $3000 and it's a **** storm. Missing tailgate, rear bumper is dented and crooked, front bumper is pushed in front and center. Interior is dirty, missing the cup holder and has a home made ugly ass thing there to replace it. Shot tires, everything. My 99 6 years ago had brand new tires, grille guard, exterior had a few dings but no dents, no deep scratches. It cleaned up nice.

I paid over 6k for my truck, but it's an 01 Sport that had 105k on it and was obviously a grandpa that owned it before me. I'm the second owner, when I first got it the truck had 225/75R16 tires on it, all 4 mud flaps, dash had a carpet cover, seats had saddle blanket covers, and it had a red bug shield that stood about 5" over the top of the hood. It screamed grandpa. That's why I bought it. Clean exterior, clean interior, I crawled under it and checked everything out. Not a drop of oil on the underside, whole 9 yards. That was before detail or service, when it was sitting on the back lot waiting for auction.

Around my part, even though the trucks don't rust here, clean trucks still hold value. If it's not falling apart, 2nd gens fetch anywhere between 3k-10k for HALF TON trucks. I've seen 2nd gen 2500 360 gassers on lots for 12+ and guess what. PEOPLE BUY THEM. I think they're insane, but that's our market here.