WHATS THIS WIRE INSIDE DOOR PANEL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jahloha

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am working on my radio system and saw this wire that ends with a pin cap, but not plugged into anything.

It looks like it would eventually hit my door locks and the truck has power locks, but not key fob.

Could this possibly be something use to make an OEM key fob work?

Any insight appreciated.

PICTURE
door panel question.png

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My guess is the proximity fob, not regular keyless. I think the regular keyless for doesn't require anything extra in the door, but the prox fob uses a different handle with sensing and an electronic button in it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jahloha

Jahloha

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My guess is the proximity fob, not regular keyless. I think the regular keyless for doesn't require anything extra in the door, but the prox fob uses a different handle with sensing and an electronic button in it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Mahalo Chris. I will research this.

I asked because I plan on installing a viper alarm and keyless entry, but if this was for a fob, I'd drop that plan and just get the truck to factory keyless.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Maybe for door lighting on higher trims? I'd put a meter on it and see if it has power only when the door is open or only when the parking lights are on.

-K

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just realized I wasnt in the 4th gen forum when I posted that reply, sorry :)

Can you see the color of the wires going to the connector? Luckily, 1998 wiring diagrams are pretty easy to find on the net.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Without checking, it looks like its for an optional lock cylinder that detected when the proper key was inserted and used to lock and unlock all doors simultaneously from the one door as well as disable the factory alarm. It was installed only on vehicles with the factory VTSS.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Without checking, it looks like its for an optional lock cylinder that detected when the proper key was inserted and used to lock and unlock all doors simultaneously from the one door as well as enable or disable the factory alarm. It was installed only on vehicles with the factory VTSS.

OP
OP
Jahloha

Jahloha

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Without checking, it looks like its for an optional lock cylinder that detected when the proper key was inserted and used to lock and unlock all doors simultaneously from the one door as well as disable the factory alarm. It was installed only on vehicles with the factory VTSS.

I actually read up on this and thought the same. Since it wasn't what I was hoping for, I just buttoned everything back up and closed the panel.

Maybe for door lighting on higher trims? I'd put a meter on it and see if it has power only when the door is open or only when the parking lights are on.

-K

This is something I didn't consider, but would make sense. However, I just put the panel back on since my aftermarket alarm/keyless entry won't access the door guts.

I appreciate the insight everyone.

Mahalo!

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
I know you closed it back up, but I took a quick peek at the wire colors, and they do goto the optional lock cylinder switch for the Anti-theft on vehicles with the factory alarm.