Wheel issue (cracks in cover): '16 1500 Bighorn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bubbagumpshrimp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just got my truck serviced at the dealer a week or so ago. I just noticed an issue with two of the wheels tonight when I went to check the tire pressure.

There are cracks in a circle around the Ram emblem. Any idea what would have caused this? Apologies for the photo quality...the cracks look like 'X's.

47k on the truck and no issues noted prior to this.

IMG_20180830_200932.jpg

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did they rotate and balance the tires?

If yes they probably knocked out the center caps to balance then pounded them back in with a rubber mallet

OP
OP
bubbagumpshrimp

bubbagumpshrimp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes. Mount, balance, and new tire install.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Or used the wrong centreing tool when they mounted it in the tire machine.

O.R.T.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Yup, wrong adapter on the spin balancer and overtightening the end nut.

Looks like someone is buying you a new set of wheels. File a complaint/case now before they can deny it.

OP
OP
bubbagumpshrimp

bubbagumpshrimp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for your feedback. They'll be opening shortly. I'll give them a call and see what they're willing to do about it.

I've had my truck there several times for service and I'd always been happy with the results prior to this discovery. Hopefully they'll take care of the issue.

OP
OP
bubbagumpshrimp

bubbagumpshrimp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had an...interesting...visit to the dealership. The dealership acknowledged observing that there was damage to two wheels prior to the truck leaving the shop. Two or more individuals observed the damage (I know of two). No one said anything to me and the damage was not noted anywhere on the invoice or vehicle condition report.

At what point they noticed the damage was not shared with me. They implied that the damage couldn't have occurred at their shop, as the individual that worked on my truck was experienced and he knew which tool to use on that type of wheel. That and "it doesn't make sense that only two of the wheels were damaged. If it happened during the install...it should have been all four wheels.":confused:

I'm not ******** you...I had two individuals pass me that line of reasoning as to why there only being two damaged wheels meant that it must not have occurred at the dealership.

My suspicion of what actually went down
...a junior technician started the job using the incorrect tool to secure the wheels. He or she damaged two wheels before they elected to "phone a friend" and seek help from a senior technician. They elected to not disclose the damage, because they figured that: 1. It wouldn't be noticed by the owner, or 2. By the time the owner noticed it...it would be too late to do anything about it.

So yeah...not real impressed with that interaction. I should hear back from them in a few days.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Good luck. My dealer does a pre inspection and notes damage on drop off much like most rental car companies do and a walk around pre vehicle return to cover themselves. That said they recently scratched my truck and fixed it on their dime as well as dropped it off at my house for me once repaired as an added bonus so I guess that process covers both sides. I'm sure the manager looked into your complaint as soon as you left to try to get to the bottom of it. Hopefully the guy who did it fesses up instead of pulling the old I don't know what happened BS and the shop make good.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
That dealership service department knows they screw the pooch on this. Now it basically is a wait and see if they step up to the plate and make it right.

O.R.T.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
This is really simple.

1. You have never noticed this before and that you now are shows you know your vehicle's condition.

2. Because you know your vehicle's condition you bring it to someone you feel you can trust, that dealership.

3. There was no noticeable damage before.

4. There's no noted damage prior to this repair, ever.

5. It's there now.

6. Tell the dealership to make it right. They screwed up, own up to it and be right.

7. I dunno about the other person who replied above but I'm a retired Master-Tech and a current Parts-Master and I've seen this more than once in the 25 years I've been in the industry.

Each time this was because of what we both have replied with here, bad mounting and tightening of the wheel on the spin balancer, or in one case, letting the wheel slam onto the ground. The tire didn't protect it when the wheel got damaged on the shop floor because it was dropped down from up high to flat.

Yeah, they're buying you wheels. Plain and simple. Show me any small claim court that won't find for you and I'll pay your legal fees. They screwed up. Feel free to go and get a second opinion after bringing it to them and showing it to them and asking them to inspect the wheels right now because the cracks even on this screen look fresh and aren't filled with road and brake dirt meaning the damage is new. Hell even an insurance agent can tell if you want to really wind this up with them. Insist on the wheels being replaced. Hand them a letter saying that. If they balk goto your insurer and initiate a vandalism claim. Factory rims run $350-$597. Midline that price and it's $1600 that your insurer can pursue after squaring away with you if they like.

*Sorry you had this happen, I had a similar deal and did exactly the above and when it was said and done my insurance paid out for me to get it fixed elsewhere and then went after the shop for the reimbursement. All because a tech (that was fired shortly after the incident) got lazy and shortcutted a repair and damaged a major safety item.

Last edited:

O.R.T.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
*DO NOT POST THE DEALERSHIP'S NAME* Keep this simple.
When and if they do right by this and you them feel free to share the positive. Just armchair lawyer advise.