Wheel or Carrier Bearing ? (or maybe even something else...)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
2002 RAM 1500 QC Long Bed 4x4 175k Miles (no lift or lowering kit).

I'll make this as short as possible while providing the most information for you folks to help me out on this one.

Last week I put my Winter tires on and started noticing a grind in the front. Was not sure if it was there or not before I swapped my Winter tires on so just let it be a little while. Today as I changed my oil, I took the opportunity to swap the front wheels to see if the noise would follow the tire and eliminate a potential bigger issue.

Sure enough the tires are not the cause, so now I need some help in understanding how to diagnose whether the noise is coming from a wheel bearing or something further up in the drive train.

Noise is like a grinding noise or hum with a small oscillation that increases with speed, so it is definitely between the wheel and the Axle.

I have tried giving sharp turns to the front to see if I could hear a change in the sound as in the past I was thought to assess a wheel bearing issue like this, but there is no change in the noise, does not increase or decrease no matter how sharp I turn and the speed I do it at.

As I have not worked a lot of 4X4, I am not really sure if the resistance I feel when turning the front wheels is to be expected as the CV joints are still turning, even though the 4X4 front traction is not engaged.

Noise doesn't change if I engage the 4X4 in either Low or High and again no change in noise when doing a sharp turn with the Front Axle engaged.

Anyone can steer me in the right direction as what I can do next to further the diagnostic on this grinding humming. I hate throwing parts for nothing at a problem and prefer to have a clear diagnostic before swapping parts.

Any and all insight and help is welcome. If I have forgotten any helpful information please ask.

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is putting it on a 4 pole lift or 4 HD jack stands an option? I would put it in 4, put it in gear and dance around with a piece of flexible hose... one end in my ear. I have a 1/2" piece of clear polytube I figure out a lot of sounds with.

I would guess wheel bearing but the shaft spins also on the way to the transfer case at a constant rate regardless of the gear. One of the joints on my shaft between the transfer case and front diff. gave out on me and made a consistent noise. It still sounds like wheel bearing to me... your symptoms do.

OP
OP
xb1230

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Good idea Jam, I'm away for the week but will have a shot at your idea next weekend, as I have a garage where I can rent a lift.

Sent from my Android HP Touchpad using tapatalk
XB1230
'02 RAM 1500 4x4 QC, 4.7l Magnum V8, Long bed.
170000miles and going... (and rusting...)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca