When to use 4x4 mode?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FtWorthRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So in the last month I purchased a 2023 Limited Longhorn Crew Cab 4x4 1500, with the Anti-spin Differential rear axle option. I've never owned a 4x4, but was convinced by a friend and my son that's what I should purchase.....not to mention the vast majority on the dealer lots here in TX are all 4x4. My question is when is it acceptable/advisable to use the 4x4(hi)? I've only put it in 4-wheel Hi once to check it out. It was on some grass, and I heard some popping sounds when I was turning. Is this normal? I read in the owner's manual that 4wd(Hi) mode should only be engaged in loose/slippery conditions. We plan to take it to NM skiing during the holidays, and I want to make sure I utilize the 4wd mode correctly!!
TIA for all your insights, thoughts, and recommendations!!

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
you'll hear some popping from the front diff when turning, that's normal.

As the manual said, use on slippery/loose conditions. Snow, mud, gravel, wet grass. You can even use it on dry conditions, like over terrain/obstacles when off-road. Just don't use it on dry pavement at much over a few MPH. You'll burn up the front diff and transfer case. You'll also notice diminished turning radius since there's no limited slip in the front.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Going in a straight line won't hurt it, but how often does anyone ever really only go in a straight line? When you are in 4x4 you are forcing the wheels to all turn at the same speed, but when you turn, the outside tires are going further than the inside tires. You will feel a binding/lurching feeling, that is your tires slipping as they fight each other. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do but it does add substantial wear and tear.

I consider myself to be a good driver when roads get bad. I frequently throw it sideways just for the lolz. That said, I only use 4x4 when I physically can't get the truck to move in 2wd (deep snow/mud/pulling something heavy on gravel). Some people use it when there is even moderate snow and heavy rain. This seems excessive but to each their own.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
The type and size of your trucks wheels are going to play a significant roll in how well your truck preforms.
Is your truck lifted and how much room is there between your tires and body in the event that you are going to use chains in icy or frozen conditions…?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If the truck has an "Auto 4X4" mode, that can be used anytime the roads could be slick, including rain. For 4X4 Hi and Low you'll want to use that when the surface your driving on is slick or loose like sand, mud, snow, etc.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Going in a straight line won't hurt it, but how often does anyone ever really only go in a straight line? When you are in 4x4 you are forcing the wheels to all turn at the same speed, but when you turn, the outside tires are going further than the inside tires. You will feel a binding/lurching feeling, that is your tires slipping as they fight each other. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do but it does add substantial wear and tear.

I consider myself to be a good driver when roads get bad. I frequently throw it sideways just for the lolz. That said, I only use 4x4 when I physically can't get the truck to move in 2wd (deep snow/mud/pulling something heavy on gravel). Some people use it when there is even moderate snow and heavy rain. This seems excessive but to each their own.
As a lifelong 4x4 owner (except this one), I found out years ago that if I wait until I am actually stuck in snow/mud, etc., it's already too late. I should have engaged the 4x4 when I even had an inkling that this might happen before I got stuck.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
As a lifelong 4x4 owner (except this one), I found out years ago that if I wait until I am actually stuck in snow/mud, etc., it's already too late. I should have engaged the 4x4 when I even had an inkling that this might happen before I got stuck.

Technically yes I would agree and most people should stick to that. That said, I'm careful to not push the limits and switch to 4x4 as soon as I start to spin, before I bury it.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
Hurst here..you can throw it in 4h anytme but I would save it and use 4 auto if in doubt. I use that whenever I'm in a driving rain storm or it's below freezing and cant tell if the roads are dry or not. we drive up to new mexico or colorado a cpl. times a year for skiing and I either leave it auto or 4h the whole time there. 4 auto down on the beach. 4h pulling the boat out at the ramp. remember 4w can get you down roads that are crapped out but it doesnt help braking so dont go nuts on snow or ice. I have had only 4w trucks since the 70's and only had to use low low a couple of times pulling someone else out of trouble.

OP
OP
F

FtWorthRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the truck has an "Auto 4X4" mode, that can be used anytime the roads could be slick, including rain. For 4X4 Hi and Low you'll want to use that when the surface your driving on is slick or loose like sand, mud, snow, etc.
Yes, I do have the 4 Auto mode. I have a standard street package, with 20" Rims with all season tires.

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My ‘17 I just left in 4 auto 100% of the time. I feel like my 5th gen prefers 2H so that’s where I leave it.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
My ‘17 I just left in 4 auto 100% of the time. I feel like my 5th gen prefers 2H so that’s where I leave it.
The Gen4 BW44-44 transfer case was controlled differently from the the BW48-11 used in the Gen5 trucks with the Auto 4x4.
The BW44-44 was somewhat notorious for the front axle not locking up fully or staying locked up. It also wouldn't engage unless slippage detected and would disconnect when the vehicle was turned off.
These shortcomings were mostly corrected with the 48-11

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Interesting! Thanks for info Crash. 4th gen engage on slippage, what’s criteria for 5th gen to engage or what’s “auto” about it if it is always engaged?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
what’s “auto” about it if it is always engaged?
Auto is just that, it will engage the front axle as needed when slip is detected. I'd imagine the 48-11 locks up the front drive better than the 44-44 but still varies the power to the front based on steering, wheel speed, etc. From what I've read the big improvement with the 48-11 was the 4X4 Hi/Low range locks up the front axle instead of waiting for slip.
The 48-11 is for the most part an all wheel drive system that acts more like a 4X4 drive system, good for what most people need it for. For those that need to deal with more loose surfaces a part-time transfer case is the better bet

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Living in Canada, I only turn on 4wd if I get stuck. Using it gives a false sense of the road conditions.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Living in Canada, I only turn on 4wd if I get stuck. Using it gives a false sense of the road conditions.
Living in "muck country", I engage 4x4 when I think I'm about ready to need it. If I waited until I was actually stuck before I engaged it, 90% of the time it will not get me "unstuck".

Even with 4x4 engaged, the trick is to "keep moving" and don't stop for any reason until you're positive you're in the clear. Too many times people will put it in 4w and get halfway through that mud hole, feel the tires start to slip, and stop because they think they're about to bury it. More often than not, they never get moving again.

Rebob0510

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here in Syracuse, NY we average 114" of snowfall per year, I drive 52 miles round trip to work daily and if the roads are bad my truck is in 4x4 high from driveway to driveway. The auto is a nice feature but I feel when the roads are really bad sometimes driving in a straight line it has that "I dont know if im in 4wd or 2wd" in the back of my mind. I like the fact I know that its locked in 4wd. I just traded in my 4th gen with 93k on the clock and got into a 5th gen. My new Bridgestone Blizzak tires came today, interesting to see the difference between the 2 in the snow

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here in Syracuse, NY we average 114" of snowfall per year, I drive 52 miles round trip to work daily and if the roads are bad my truck is in 4x4 high from driveway to driveway. The auto is a nice feature but I feel when the roads are really bad sometimes driving in a straight line it has that "I dont know if im in 4wd or 2wd" in the back of my mind. I like the fact I know that its locked in 4wd. I just traded in my 4th gen with 93k on the clock and got into a 5th gen. My new Bridgestone Blizzak tires came today, interesting to see the difference between the 2 in the snow
The snow tires will make more of a difference than 4wd. If this is your first time with snow tires, prepare to be amazed.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Before you get into the sloppy stuff. Once it is buried to the axles in 2WD, 4WD is iffy on getting you out of the mess.

Rebob0510

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The snow tires will make more of a difference than 4wd. If this is your first time with snow tires, prepare to be amazed.

Ive always had snow tires, The stock tires they come with arent very good in the sloppy stuff LOL

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
where I live if we get 10-15” of snow a year it’s a bad year. No snow tires for me. My driveway is steep, like staircase steep for maybe 50 feet. The ram will go up it with 2” of snow on it with factory tires without more than 10’ of running start. I did not mean to find this out with a surprise snow storm but I was amazed at what this is capable of. I didn’t think it could climb that but it just drove up without any drama.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat