When to use 4x4 mode?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
i run in 4wd almost all winter.we get a lot of snow and the plows don't get around my neighborhood often,and by mid winter the roads are all ice from the packed snow.i also use 4lo with the front diff locked quite a bit as well.

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My hiway to work is notorious for Black ice. If there is an overnigjht skiff you can feel your truck a little skittish..on goes the 4x4..Comfort in knowing you have 4 on the ground to keep you straight

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
where I live if we get 10-15” of snow a year it’s a bad year. No snow tires for me. My driveway is steep, like staircase steep for maybe 50 feet. The ram will go up it with 2” of snow on it with factory tires without more than 10’ of running start. I did not mean to find this out with a surprise snow storm but I was amazed at what this is capable of. I didn’t think it could climb that but it just drove up without any drama.

I used to live on a narrow street with a steep entrance to my driveway. When it got ice packed I had to pull in a few feet, back out to straighten up, then hit it in 4wd. With the street being narrow there was only a couple feet of run up so even 4wd was difficult. If I had a 2wd, I would have been parking on the street.

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
Plenty of opinions. We can agree that you never want to engage 4wd on dry pavement. .
In moderate conditions you can probably do fine by running in 2wd and engaging 4wd only when you are having trouble.
In more difficult conditions, I want 4wd engaged all the time. It gives me the best chance of being unstuck. If I do get stuck, then it helps a lot to have a shovel, tow strap, winch, and some ingenuity to get unstuck.

4wd High is nearly always the gear you want to be in. 4wd Low is for steep, slow rough conditions.
Many people make the mistake of using 4wd Low on snowy roads for instance. Too much torque, the wheels just spin.
All of this business takes some practice. Steering with the right foot, keeping the wheels straight, not spinning wheels and most of all knowing when to get out and look and test the surface before committing to it. Know when to get out and walk.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, I do have the 4 Auto mode. I have a standard street package, with 20" Rims with all season tires.
If U think road may be slick, like due to rain, 4 Auto. Ne thing else dependent upon road conditions. No 4 High normal driving on pavement unless roads are that bad. And like said, may get U moving but 4 X 4 got nothing to do reference stopping and some steering. Drive to road conditions, not like Supaman when U got 4 X 4 engaged. Last time I used 4 X 4 was during Feb 2021 TX freeze em up an/or when pulling my trailer like through wet fields or grass. Up in DFW, on IH 35/40, whateva, U not need any 4 X 4 unless Road conditions that bad.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The Gen4 BW44-44 transfer case was controlled differently from the the BW48-11 used in the Gen5 trucks with the Auto 4x4.
The BW44-44 was somewhat notorious for the front axle not locking up fully or staying locked up. It also wouldn't engage unless slippage detected and would disconnect when the vehicle was turned off.
These shortcomings were mostly corrected with the 48-11
Hmmm. I sold my '15 in November when I picked up my '20, so it had been several months since I would have even had opportunity to try 4-Auto on the old one. But I did not notice any difference in functionality, in that the front axle does not engage until you start slipping. So I almost never use it. Either 2H or 4H.

Not sure why they don't offer an AWD option, as that would suit at least 90% of modern p/u truck owners far better than 4-Auto or 4H. It would be my choice as long as it was a decently functioning unit. Vehicles we've had that performed flawlessly with AWD were a Corolla, Safari (the mid-size version) Element, Explorer and Telluride. And you can't tell me it's related to power, because there are heavy, high HP vehicles out there with AWD as well, such as the Porsche, MB, Lexus etc large SUVs.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hmmm. I sold my '15 in November when I picked up my '20, so it had been several months since I would have even had opportunity to try 4-Auto on the old one. But I did not notice any difference in functionality, in that the front axle does not engage until you start slipping. So I almost never use it. Either 2H or 4H.

Not sure why they don't offer an AWD option, as that would suit at least 90% of modern p/u truck owners far better than 4-Auto or 4H. It would be my choice as long as it was a decently functioning unit. Vehicles we've had that performed flawlessly with AWD were a Corolla, Safari (the mid-size version) Element, Explorer and Telluride. And you can't tell me it's related to power, because there are heavy, high HP vehicles out there with AWD as well, such as the Porsche, MB, Lexus etc large SUVs.
I'm not understanding. 4H basically is AWD.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
AWD systems usually involve torque distribution/management, meaning there's a computer that will control how much power goes to which wheel(s).
The depending on which transfer case the truck has makes it either full or part time. The 1500 48-11 transfer case is full-time as it can control the amount of torque going to the front wheels, the rears are always "full torque". The front torque can vary depending on which mode and is reduced while turning the front wheels to allow differentiation.
The 48-12 is a part-time transfer case that does not allow front to rear differentiation
The HD trucks have only part-time transfer cases, with the option of electric (shift-on-the-fly BW44-46) or manual shifting(BW44-47).

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My hiway to work is notorious for Black ice. If there is an overnigjht skiff you can feel your truck a little skittish..on goes the 4x4..Comfort in knowing you have 4 on the ground to keep you straight
This is exactly what I mean when I said it gives you a false sense of security.... 4wd does nothing to keep you going in a straight line. Go spend some time at a racing school, where they teach you how traction really works, and you'll understand why.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
AWD systems usually involve torque distribution/management, meaning there's a computer that will control how much power goes to which wheel(s).
The depending on which transfer case the truck has makes it either full or part time. The 1500 48-11 transfer case is full-time as it can control the amount of torque going to the front wheels, the rears are always "full torque". The front torque can vary depending on which mode and is reduced while turning the front wheels to allow differentiation.
The 48-12 is a part-time transfer case that does not allow front to rear differentiation
The HD trucks have only part-time transfer cases, with the option of electric (shift-on-the-fly BW44-46) or manual shifting(BW44-47).
Spot on as Usual. :cheers:

For car based AWD, hard to beat Lexus and Audi, Mercedes systems, thought they aren't the same systems. For SUV based, the Jeep system in the Summit and higher end Jeeps is about as great and easy to use as you could ever find. The quadratrac system also has the Selec-Terrain system. Besides offering a reliable 4x4 system with a two-speed transfer case, the Summit comes with a Selec-Terrain system with five easy modes to choose from—Snow, Sand, Mud, Rock and Auto. These choices automatically change the transmission mapping, throttle mapping, ride height, TCS and brake differential mapping without any need for driver to make the choices. With the air suspension and the four-wheel drive system, the Summit is able to go rock crawling or trail running and it will not hesitate to do so.

Last edited:

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Totally disagree Crispy..I was a Police Pursuit Instructor. Taught the recruits how to drive on ice and snow in Calgary. Often took the K-9 units on track with 4WD…it makes a huge difference when you are on ice and pointed at a power pole in the middle of your pursuit path…

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Totally disagree Crispy..I was a Police Pursuit Instructor. Taught the recruits how to drive on ice and snow in Calgary. Often took the K-9 units on track with 4WD…it makes a huge difference when you are on ice and pointed at a power pole in the middle of your pursuit path…
I agree. 4x4 doesn't make them stop any better but as far as cornering, striaght line stability etc makes a world of difference. If 4x4 didn’t matter there would not be separate classes in rally racing for 2 wheel drive versus 4 wheel drive and the 4 wheel drive transit times would not be 10 to 20% better.

I can also tell you from live experience that a 2 wheel drive Carrera and a 4 wheel drive of the same year, perform VERY differently in ice and snow. I will take the Carrera 4 everytime for spirited driving on bad roads or ice courses.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Sorry, not even close.

AWD varies the torque as needed. There is no way I would drive my truck in 4H all the time. My wife's Telluride is in AWD mode all the time, including 70 on the highway, making tight turns in the parking lot, etc.

I will point out that terms change as times do. I well remember when I was a young teen, being on a jobsite where a guy had an International Scout p/u and one of the badges was All Wheel Drive.

That usage has changed with technology. Back in the '70s the idea that a computer might control how much torque is applied to each axle or even each wheel would have been the stuff of science fiction.

And there are people today who would insist that "All Wheel Drive" can only apply if you have locking axles front and rear along with a mechanically locking transfer case.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Sorry, not even close.

AWD varies the torque as needed. There is no way I would drive my truck in 4H all the time. My wife's Telluride is in AWD mode all the time, including 70 on the highway, making tight turns in the parking lot, etc.

I will point out that terms change as times do. I well remember when I was a young teen, being on a jobsite where a guy had an International Scout p/u and one of the badges was All Wheel Drive.

That usage has changed with technology. Back in the '70s the idea that a computer might control how much torque is applied to each axle or even each wheel would have been the stuff of science fiction.

And there are people today who would insist that "All Wheel Drive" can only apply if you have locking axles front and rear along with a mechanically locking transfer case.
Until this truck, all I have ever had was 4x4 so I know zero about AWD. I do know that my last two 4x4 trucks (going back to the mid-80's) both said that I could put it in 4H up to 50 MPH. If you can drive it in 4H at 45 - 50 MPH, you're basically driving it in AWD. I never did that on purpose, but there were a few times I forgot to take it out of 4H when I left that muddy road and didn't remember until I was out on the highway 5 miles down the road and put it back into 2H.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Until this truck, all I have ever had was 4x4 so I know zero about AWD. I do know that my last two 4x4 trucks (going back to the mid-80's) both said that I could put it in 4H up to 50 MPH. If you can drive it in 4H at 45 - 50 MPH, you're basically driving it in AWD.
It's semantics.

I bet you never parallel parked on dry pavement in 4H.

In addition to the difference in function, any* vehicle with AWD is always in AWD. Vehicles with 4WD will have a manually selectable transfer case function of powering only the rear axle or both front and rear.

Interesting side note: my wife's Telluride has an optional display that shows how much torque is being applied to each wheel.

*as far as I know.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It's semantics.

I bet you never parallel parked on dry pavement in 4H.

In addition to the difference in function, any* vehicle with AWD is always in AWD. Vehicles with 4WD will have a manually selectable transfer case function of powering only the rear axle or both front and rear.

Interesting side note: my wife's Telluride has an optional display that shows how much torque is being applied to each wheel.

*as far as I know.
I actually probably have - by accident, not taking it out of 4H after launching the boat then having to back in between other trucks/trailers to the side of the ramp. I never would have done it on purpose. But I get your meaning.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Technically yes I would agree and most people should stick to that. That said, I'm careful to not push the limits and switch to 4x4 as soon as I start to spin, before I bury it.
I don’t know about your setup, but if you are spinning, it will not go into 4 wd
I have auto 4wd, and leave it in that a lot in winter with ice on the roads and streets
I have never used it in rain

I hardly ever have used 4 wheel lock
Years ago lots of time that would have been nice, but 4 wd was very uncommon, unless you had a jeep

Btw AWD is different then 4x4
The Honda CR-V is awd, it runs as a front wd until the computer see wheel slipping and then it locks in rear wheels as well
I can’t tell when that happens on the car, but on the truck, I can feel a little delay when the auto 4wd kicks in
In this country every newer car and SUV on the road seems to be AWD

Last edited:

Bob123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Lots of mixed opinions here. :) My 2 cents... If its raining or light snow, etc. you do Not need 4x4. If snow is coming down fast while your driving or on clearly snowy roads, 4x4 high. With rain, if its that pouring blinding rain that you cant see more than 20' in front of you...yea, 4x4 high. Basically anytime you feel in those weather conditions that you don't have full tire grip and you know conditions are dangerous I would use 4x4 high. You will feel/hear things when turning or if backing up and turning. 4x4 Low when your stuck, off-roading and need it.

Billf6531

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0 V6
Since you have 4-auto, use 2wd High for slightly better fuel mileage during dry conditions, and switch to 4-auto at the slightest indication of ice, snow, mud or other slippery conditions. Leave it there until those conditions disappear.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I don’t know about your setup, but if you are spinning, it will not go into 4 wd

I'm not trying to engage 4wd WHILE spinning if that's what you're getting at. My ego wants to give it a shot in 2wd, do what I can, get a little bit too much slippage and I stop completely. Pull the lever on the floor back to 4wd and resume movement.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357