Which cold air intake kit for my 4.7?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lfoshaug

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Flexifuel
Hi,

I am looking at purchasing a CAI for my 2007 4.7 Flexfuel RAM.

What is the difference between the different kits? Is it worth getting a 250 dollar kit, when i can get one for around 50 dollars?

Can anyone chime in about the real world difference with using a cai vs stock intake? MPG increase/decrease? Sound levels?

I do like the sound of a good KN filter vs a stock filter. At least on the cars Ive had before.

What about this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLUE-2002-2...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a3e702946&vxp=mtr

I also took a look at the Volant kit which looks decent. But pricey compared to the easier setups.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Personally I stay away from ebay specials. You mostly get what you pay for. I've read tons of these posts and when I get the extra cash and if I do get one, I'm getting the Airaid modular intake tube. Replaces the stock tube and I the resonator (part hooked to throttle body). The resonator is the most performance tuning aspect. You can keep using regular filters our do the k&n drop in one. Most bang for your buck I've heard. Don't get me wrong the volant and others are quality items. But if you're on a budget it can be hard to justify spending that much. Mileage in theory should go up but you may or may not notice depending on how controlled you are with your foot on the pedal. ;)
Hope this answers some your questions. In sure others will speak up at a normal time of day lol.

Bigboytoys

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 QC 5spd
Engine
4.7L
After years of experience with my mustang, I can tell you....Stay away from anything that uses a METAL tube. Honestly, alone a CAI does not do much as far as performance goes. Now, combine that with exhaust, headers, tune...Then yes, you will have a decent performance gain. A CAI is a complimentary mod....best used in combination with other mods. But, it is a step in the right direction.
The reason I say stay away from the metal tubed CAIs is that the metal with conduct engine heat a lot more than the plastic tubed CAIs. We are talking a good 10-20 degrees difference between the two materials. Right now I currently am running a AirRaid CAI in my Ram.
Sound wise, you will hear it in and out of the cab. If I goose mine, it give a nice whooshing sound, and in the cab, you can hear it sucking....
Hope this helps.

OP
OP
L

lfoshaug

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Flexifuel
How is the sound with the Airaid modular intake tube with/without a KN drop in filter? Compared to stock, and compared to a conical filter?

Will there be any performance gains with just running a airaid intake tube and a KN filter, or do i also need new exhaust to see any performance gains?

Is it safe to run a ebay cai kit just for the extra sound?

Bigboytoys

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 QC 5spd
Engine
4.7L
I wouldn't imagine that there is that much of a difference in sound. I have a Large conical air filter, and it was on it when I bought the truck....so I can't tell you.

DDean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have same truck year and engine wise. I have a K&N CAI in mine and love it. Deepens the engine tone and makes it sound more aggressive. If I gained anything haven't really noticed but I got kind of a heavy foot anyways =p

grpht03ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

90guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I put a K&N CAI on mine. Only time I notice excess noise is upon startup and then it quiets up until I start pulling with it.

OP
OP
L

lfoshaug

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Flexifuel
Sounds good. Im looking forward to it. I have a lot of new stuff on the way overseas. Tonneau cover, 37 inch led bar and the CAI. Let it snow!

OP
OP
L

lfoshaug

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Flexifuel
Im in Norway. Northern Norway. Picked up the truck this january in Oslo.