whinning noise from front of engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joshv757

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a whinning coming from the front of my engine. It's starts as soon as I start the engine and gets louder as I accelerate. I believe it's the alternator but don't want to drop almost 200 bucks for something if it's not the problem. If it is the alternator is there anyway to stop it besides replacing it?

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
I had the same whine and I took the belt off and checked the tension pulley under the alternator. It turned out to be that and it was a $20 part from AutoZone

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Yep, I'd check the tensioner and idler pulleys first. I replaced my idler pulleys at 160K miles because they were whining.

:welcome:

sylver91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Take the belt off and spin them by hand to feel for bad bearings. I had mine seize and throw the belt within 1 minute of hearing the noise and just as I pulled into the parking lot at work.

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Take the belt off and spin them by hand to feel for bad bearings. I had mine seize and throw the belt within 1 minute of hearing the noise and just as I pulled into the parking lot at work.

Turn the stereo down!!!!! :)

I have a 3/8 piece of clear rubber tubing. I put one side up to my ear and the other I touch things with.... alternator housing, AC clutch (which has an idler bearing also), idler pulley bolts, you can surely hear the location that way. Great way to find strange clicks and squeaks. I use the same method for machines at work and for furnaces, HVAC, etc.

In the old "air pump" days for emissions I had one lock up on me and smoke the belt without making any prior noise at all. I had a bad bearing on an alternator in another car that I drove for over a year.

rubber or plastic tubes are cheap, everyone should have one handy.

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Isn't that what a rubber tube is? :)

Mine was free at "daytime job" LOL.