who has the "Hemi tick"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
i have heard a lot about the Hemi tick online. i have a 2008 ram Hemi with a tick on a cold start. the exhaust manifold bolts have been replaced. i use napa gold or silver oil filter and premium conventional high mileage oil.

this is what happens.. i turn the truck on, on a cold start. its always a little higher fan for about 30 seconds then the fan slows down and it idles with no tick sound for maybe another few seconds then i hear a tick. i can hear it more on the passenger side than the drivers and can hear it if i am under the truck. not so much in the truck with doors and windows closed...

its not knocking. i can rev the engine slowly and it doesn't get louder. after a drive the truck a but it goes away pretty quickly.... until a cold start again.

thoughts? any other trucks out there doing this too?

OP
OP
R

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I had the same problem. Solved it by switching from mid grade to 93.

i usually run 88-91.. 89 is very hard to find here and the highest is 91. i have a bulldog gt tuner that i can change the fuel program from stock mid grade or premium. usually have it set for mid grade so i can run 88-93 according to the manual for bully dog... I'm going to try running strictly 91 for awhile.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I get a tick my 06 hemi had it and I just never thought about it I run penzoil full sunthedic and 89 octane gas.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
last oil change it was quaker premium high mileage. changed recently with premium valvoline high mileage.

I would try Amsoil or even dino oil yellow bottle Pennzoil.

It seems like every truck is different though.
I run walmart Supertech synthetic with no hemi tick.

OP
OP
R

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
some more info...

its loudest on a pure cold start from sitting over night. i ran some errands this morning and after driving around the block no tick sound. went into town nd in and out of a couple shops overtime i started it it sounded fine no tick. come home and let it sit for 3 hours or so and start it to go get lunch and it ticks... and again if i drive it just down the road it stops ticking...

ill post some videos tonight.

Big Easy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I noticed a ticking noise and took my 2012 ram 1500 in this morning with just under 60km. It turns out there is a problem and are replacing all of the lifters.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yes the manifold bolts have been replaced but these wonderful logs love to crack. At first it starts as a hairline, then you hear it when cold but not hot, then you hear it as a pedestrian as the guy passes by you with obviously leaking exhaust manifolds and you laugh.
Usually a ford triton or old gm but ive seen a fair few hemi manifolds crack, including mine.

OP
OP
R

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Yes the manifold bolts have been replaced but these wonderful logs love to crack. At first it starts as a hairline, then you hear it when cold but not hot, then you hear it as a pedestrian as the guy passes by you with obviously leaking exhaust manifolds and you laugh.
Usually a ford triton or old gm but ive seen a fair few hemi manifolds crack, including mine.

I'm sure they do,... it wasn't that long ago i had the bolts replaced... 2 weeks or so... when my mechanic changed them he didn't see any cracks or anything... its possible its in a spot hard to see.

OP
OP
R

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I noticed a ticking noise and took my 2012 ram 1500 in this morning with just under 60km. It turns out there is a problem and are replacing all of the lifters.

what types of symptoms did you have on the truck? was it more noticeable from the top over the engine or on the bottom?

i have like 110k miles or so on mine. bought it around 69k miles but now its out of dealer warranty if theres anything major wrong.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That second one was EXACTLY how mine sounded before Redline oil. Note that it doesn't work for everyone, but 80% of the people are reporting a quieter engine. Also, going to test some Cerma maybe today as another tool to quiet those lifters. First try the dealer, if they wont help change up the lube, Redline or Motul oil, Cerma, Changing to 30 weight oil, all are proven fixes for "some" of these ticks. I just put Redline and you can here my engine in my sig. Every once in a while when the truck really sits do I get a little tick back, but I would say at least 95% fixed.

OP
OP
R

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Sounds just like mine after I do an oil change. When I get a few hundred kms on the oil it quiets down. Here's the post that I started in November. There's video of mine and of another members that sound the same in it.

http://www.ramforum.com/f44/tick_after_oil_change-57448/

yep, watched your video our trucks definitely sound the same... are you using premium conventional or a full synthetic oil? how often do you change the oil (miles)

i guess its a relief knowing theres others out there.. i just hope there is no reliability issues with the sound..? how long has yours been ticking like this?

OP
OP
R

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
That second one was EXACTLY how mine sounded before Redline oil. Note that it doesn't work for everyone, but 80% of the people are reporting a quieter engine. Also, going to test some Cerma maybe today as another tool to quiet those lifters. First try the dealer, if they wont help change up the lube, Redline or Motul oil, Cerma, Changing to 30 weight oil, all are proven fixes for "some" of these ticks. I just put Redline and you can here my engine in my sig. Every once in a while when the truck really sits do I get a little tick back, but I would say at least 95% fixed.

is redline a synthetic or conventional oil? i don't want to really switch to a full synthetic being i have about 110k miles on my truck. and I've heard once you switch to synthetic you can't go back...

do you think the noise is lifter noise? i don't know much about engines honestly but always thought lifters were on the top part of engine... this sound to is more noticeable from the bottom of engine? idk maybe the sound is just being directed that way .

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Redline and Motul are the only true synthetics, no oil in that base oil. You can switch back and forth, there are no compatibility problems. However, they will also clean the hell out of your engine, and that can cause some symptoms. Sometimes engines like they sludge they are in. However, it sounds like your engine aint that happy. You can try Penzoil yellow bottle, that has some things that may help that as well.

Yes, I think that is lifter tick. The two usual suspects for that sound is lifters or exhaust bolts.

OP
OP
R

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Redline and Motul are the only true synthetics, no oil in that base oil. You can switch back and forth, there are no compatibility problems. However, they will also clean the hell out of your engine, and that can cause some symptoms. Sometimes engines like they sludge they are in. However, it sounds like your engine aint that happy. You can try Penzoil yellow bottle, that has some things that may help that as well.

Yes, I think that is lifter tick. The two usual suspects for that sound is lifters or exhaust bolts.

okay, thanks good to know. if lifters are making a noise like that does that mean they need to be replaced or worked on..? or is it normal sound with age and won't affect reliability on the road?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
IMO when your engine sounds like a F'n sewing machine, this is not a good thing. Some people disagree, maybe they like the sound of metal grinding in the morning. helps wake them up?