Why am I not getting low bass?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

austin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Flex Fuel
My setup: 2 Kicker Comp S 12's, a Plannet Audio ANARCHY 2000-watt 2 Channel Full Range Class A/B Amplifier, with a ported Kicker enclosure. I'm still running the factory radio as well. Are my subs just simply too cheap to hit low notes or is there another factor that would be causing little low bass output? They hit mid range bass really well just not lows. Also am a newbie when it comes to subs :roflsquared:

BLKSHP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like no lows, or just ultra low thumping base?

lilzilla2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Probably the tuning of the box is higher than you would like

OP
OP
austin

austin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Flex Fuel
Like the lows are not loud at all, and my buddy has the same box with different subs and amp and it hits lows amazingly.

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How did you tap into the factory system to get signal for the subs? How are they wired to the amp? And are your gains on the amp all set up correctly? Not just turning it up all the way.

OP
OP
austin

austin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Flex Fuel
I have a line out converter with the two subs' positives wired together on one channel, then the two subs' negatives wired together on the other channel. Also, I tapped into the rear door speakers

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are the subs the 2 Ohm version? Or 4 Ohm? How you wire them together and to the amp really matters on how they'll perform.

doz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
From the way it sounds that you have it wired, you might have blown them already. If they are 4ohm SVC subs and you wired them parallel while bridged, you just dropped WAYYYYY too much power to them.

That amp will output 400w RMS @ 4ohm on each channel. Each of those subs are rated at 300w RMS / 600w MAX. You should have wired each one directly to each channel. Here is a useful tool when wiring up subs if you do not know how it works. http://knowledge.sonicelectronix.com/tools/subwoofer-wiring/#prettyPhoto

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just realized that he said he bridged them. Yep, you overpowered them from the get go. Subs and amps need to be matched to their RMS power. Don't worry about the number like 2000 because that's MAX power, and the amp will most likely never see that on a daily basis.

ou812

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
How are the crossovers set on the amp? You can have twice the rated power on tap and still not blow a sub. I have 150 watts on tap for my tweeters and they're not blown.

OP
OP
austin

austin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Flex Fuel
They're not blown, i never have put them past the point to where there start to clip, but you guys are saying just un-bridge them and put them on separate channels? Also, not sure on the crossovers, tomorrow I'll take pics of how they're wired exactly and the settings on the amp.

OP
OP
austin

austin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Flex Fuel
AC2000.2 - Planet Audio
Here's the amp I have with all specs, is it possible that low pass frequency is too high and doesn't allow the low notes to go through the speakers? I was told that I should've gotten a class D monoblock amp as well. And the subs are the 4 ohm version.

Last edited:

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes connect each sub to a separate channel. That'll make sure there getting the right power.
As for tuning, if you have a multimeter. Look up how to tune an amp with a multimeter. It's really simple if you're savvy with a screwdriver, and it'll get the amp tuned fairly easily and it will sound good.
Crossovers, I usually set mine to about 70-80hz. That way I don't get a lot of annoying high bass, just lots of deep stuff.

Idk, I'm still fairly new at this type of stuff for sure, but that's what I've done for my truck with the 3 sub and amp combos that I've had. I've also done it for friends and it sounds great.

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For now though. Put the level knob about in the middle, the mode switch should be in low pass, the high pass knob at the middle position, and the low pass knob at pretty much all the way down counterclockwise. See where that gets you, then adjust the level knob and other knobs accordingly. Just don't crank up the level all the way. Yes it'll get louder, but it won't sound awesome either.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP..

how did you hook up the LOC. are you 100% that you grabbed the positives and negatives correctly. or could you have one of them wired incorrectly?

what about your wiring inside your box are you also 100% sure its not reversed at all?

to me it sounds like you have something wired out of phase.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm with baum could be a phase issue or signal issue. Also it looks like that amp doesn't have a subsonic filter on it which you will want when you get it sounding the way you want it too. If you play blow tuning of the box your subs will unload and bottom out very very quickly meaning you could ruin them. Oh one last thing you won't blow a sub by having to much power as long as the gains are set appropriately. I always buy an amp with headroom as it gives me the ability to expand down the line and make use of my speakers in the most efficient way possible.

AmoAgave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unless I'm missing something you're trying to pull a 1 ohm load from an inexpensive amp that I highly doubt is 1 ohm stable. The amp is most likely going into protection mode. You can keep the amp bridged, but wire one sub's negative to the others positive, then the open positive to the amp's positive, neg to amp neg and the amp will see a much higher load when bridged. 800 watts going to two subs. Using each channel puts them in stereo which usually isn't a good idea. In the same box you want the amps moving exactly the same. Especially in a ported or bandpass. The power this way is the same, but the amp is basically summing them together.

attachment.php

Attachments

• parallel-vs-series-speaker-connections.gif
    parallel-vs-series-speaker-connections.gif
    6.9 KB · Views: 160
OP
OP
austin

austin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Flex Fuel
Thanks for all the great input! The line out converter is wired correctly, when i first wired them, it was incorrect and the subs barely even played unless I had the balance on my radio shifted to either side. But after playing for about an hour straight, the amp goes into protected mode. What I'm getting is I should wire them either each sub to its own channel, or like AmoAgave mentioned, "bridged, but wire one sub's negative to the others positive, then the open positive to the amp's positive, neg to amp neg and the amp will see a much higher load when bridged", for better sound quality.

OP
OP
austin

austin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Flex Fuel
Pretty sure the parallel is how they are wired

attachment.php
[/QUOTE]

AmoAgave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pretty sure the parallel is how they are wired

attachment.php
[/QUOTE]

As you described it in your first post, yes they are. Not many amps will handle a 1 ohm load now days. Back in the day 1 ohm Sony ES, Orion HCCA's and Soundstream References would even go as low as 1/2 ohm. But power is cheap now, so no real reason for it.

Currently you're at 1 ohm that the amp sees, bridged out to subs in series the amp will essentially see a 4 ohm load, yet still make plenty of power without overheating or going into protection.