why do diesel have bigger lift options than gas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ram_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
looking up lift kit options for a single cab 2500 6.4 hemi and noticed most companies only offer 4, 5, 5.5 inch kits but if you have a diesel you can get 6 or 8 inch.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There someone on here with an 8" on a 6.4 but I believe it was a prototype. My guess is it's just simply supply and demand. I'm sure with how popular the 6.4 has become there will be bigger lifts coming out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
they aren't really different, its just because of the weight differences. A gas truck sits a bit higher than a cummins stock, so a bds 5.5" gas sits the same as a 6" diesel. End result is the same. same kits, different spring rates, yielding "different" height gains on different configurations.

RAMYOU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
they aren't really different, its just because of the weight differences. A gas truck sits a bit higher than a cummins stock, so a bds 5.5" gas sits the same as a 6" diesel. End result is the same. same kits, different spring rates, yielding "different" height gains on different configurations.

Actually.not really bro. its not a matter of gas trucks sitting high (they dont). Its because gas trucks are lighter than diesel trucks. For example BDS 4 inch diesel spring lifts a gas truck 5.5" so if you install diesel 6" spring on a gas truck, the lift will be close to 7.5" inches AND the ride will suffer.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Actually.not really bro. its not a matter of gas trucks sitting high (they dont). Its because gas trucks are lighter than diesel trucks. For example BDS 4 inch diesel spring lifts a gas truck 5.5" so if you install diesel 6" spring on a gas truck, the lift will be close to 7.5" inches AND the ride will suffer.

I would also guess the springs would require different spring rates. I can't say for sure though

BlackSheep14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I believe it has to do with the way the exhaust is ran near the front driveshaft on the gas vehicles compared to diesels.

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Trucks running just fine. I do know when I did my lift the exhaust did get in the way of the front drive shaft. I had to get the exhaust reworked around the drive shaft for it to clear. Besides the gears I haven't done anything to it. I've put too much money into an already new truck. The only things I might do is a bed liner and weather tech mats. Nothing really exciting.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe it has to do with the way the exhaust is ran near the front driveshaft on the gas vehicles compared to diesels.

Exactly this ^^^ , You can only lift a vehicle so much before you get into custom parts or parts at a higher risk of failure and as a company that produces products to stay in business, having this failure potential leads to claims and a bad reputation on their lift. So they don't produce them.

These companies do tons and tons of research to figure out a quality product that works well.... some do not though and usually those lifts are alot cheaper due to no R&D cost.

Now on another note Carli and Thuren used to make a 6" lift coil for both hemi and CTD but looking on their page its not offered. Might contact them and see if they can make you something and or give you advise as to what to look out for.

BlackSheep14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thuren's coils are only for the diesel, I have not contacted Carli.

Any custom shop should have no problem redoing the exhaust as that is the only thing different in the setups (other than maybe spring rate in the coils). I think the mfgs just don't want to sell the larger kits because most people are installing these by themselves in their driveways and may not be capable to rerouting the the exhaust.

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Some of the PW guys are running the Thuren diesel coils.

I just want to know what purpose a 8 inch lift serves besides looking "cool" - as a guy into wheeling I never understood oversized lifts that aren't really practical for real wheeling unless you're into running through mud pits. But that was a thing in Florida. Had a big park for it even.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ just can't relate.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Solid axle vs. IFS plays a big part. You have more SA options performance wise vs. IFS (this is on your DD or regular setup, if you wanna spend the money and go to long travel IFS then those have a ton of options).

Sent From 1 of Many Samsung Devices

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could have sworn he used to have a option for Gassers, but that was before the 4th gen and a years ago.... But o-well...

I don't think Carli advertises anything about their 6" system, or if they even have it anymore.. Its been years since I delt with their lifts I know they were doing R&D when I got rid of my 3rd gen 4 or so years ago and thought they brought the 6" w/ radius arm to production, but maybe not.

Might still be worth contacting them to see if they can do anything custom.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We're talking 2500s, they all have SFAs.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Solid axle vs. IFS plays a big part. You have more SA options performance wise vs. IFS (this is on your DD or regular setup, if you wanna spend the money and go to long travel IFS then those have a ton of options).

He's got a 2500, Both SA equipped. Not sure if you read that in his first post.

Last edited:

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
He's got a 2500, Both SA equipped. Not sure if our read that in his first post.
Yup, totally missed it, sorry. I was speed reading through comments and made mine, I guess it pays to pay attention. I shall update my post.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also Pure Performance has a 6.5" kit for the Hemi

6.5" Systems

Edit, I just noticed you have a 15..... so nevermind

Last edited:

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Some of the PW guys are running the Thuren diesel coils.

I just want to know what purpose a 8 inch lift serves besides looking "cool" - as a guy into wheeling I never understood oversized lifts that aren't really practical for real wheeling unless you're into running through mud pits. But that was a thing in Florida. Had a big park for it even.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ just can't relate.

but whats wrong with that? What happens when I roll up in a "bling mall crawler" truck on 22s and everyone starts talking all this trash... but I have a KOH buggy at home? Am I cool or :homoswitch:

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
So... to make up for my moronic comment above, I called BDS direct. Asked why they only offered a max 5.5" on the 5.7/6.4 2500 platform vs. the 6-8" on the 6.7 platform.

I was told that the springs are totally different for gas and diesel, he said that if you put the diesel springs on the gasser the ride height would be much greater than designed and would bind components and would ride worse than a leaf sprung truck. He said they look at at selling points (whatever he means by that, he didn't give me a very clear answer when asked for clarification). He said they "might" come out with a 6" in the future for 2500 gasser, but said don't hold your breath.