Why do I like my 50 gallon gas tank?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dieseldave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Assuming it's a 1500, it depends on how your truck is configured. For the Big Horn, the standard tank size for the QC is 26 gallons. Standard tank size for the CC with long bed is also 26 gallons. Standard tank size for the CC with a short bed can be either 23 or 26 gallons, depending on how it's equipped. If you post your truck configuration we can tell you which size tank to expect.

The fact that so many are equipped with a 23 gallon tank is ridiculous to me, especially since the upgrade from the 23 to the 26 gallon tank is a free upgrade.
My new truck will be a 1500 cc 6.4 bed . So I should get the 26 gal. Tank . Tank you for your reply

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Why the limits ?

Every time I ask a merchant they tell me it is a credit card company decision. Shell has their 20 gallon limit regardless of credit card used. I have called my card company twice over the years and they tell me they dont set the limits it is a merchant setting. Just the normal run around.

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
Every time I ask a merchant they tell me it is a credit card company decision. Shell has their 20 gallon limit regardless of credit card used. I have called my card company twice over the years and they tell me they dont set the limits it is a merchant setting. Just the normal run around.

The 20 gallon limit is usually the limit for reduced price fuel. I have never run into any gallon limits. I have run into credit card limits when fuel prices are high. But if I remember correctly, I called my previous cc company and had them raise my limit at the pump. I have a 55 gallon diesel tank.

My reason for the 55 gallon tank is refueling opportunities can get tight in rural WV/TN/NC areas. Mostly mountain. Stock 35 gallon tank only allowed a 200 mile range when pulling my toyhauler. Now I can run 300, refuel and I have the remainder of the trip covered until I return back to the interstate.

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
I've run in to $75 limits a lot of times. Was really an issue when fuel was $4+ a gallon. One time I even trigger number of swipe limit on the fourth swipe. I was getting 30gal of diesel for the truck and 120 gallon of gas for the boat.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If I need a lot of fuel I just go inside and pre authorize higher. I drive long distances and into remote areas so I carry 2 sometimes more 25l Jerry cans as just in case fuel. Bigger tank would free up more space in the bed that I could use so if I could go bigger I would. I did opt for the larger tank when I bought my truck, but 50 gallon would be awesome. Even then I'd still carry 1 can in case I run too low in certain areas. I've been 2 hours from the nearest fuel station and running around during the day so I had to make sure I never went bellow 1/4 tank so I'd make it to the gas station. When it's a 4 hour trip for fuel you get as much as you can. Also fuel prices vary greatly on my trips so being able to make it to the cheaper places and not have to fuel in expensive areas is another bonus.

Last edited: