Why is my truck shaking.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill Copple

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check that pinion nut. It has caused many rear end catastrophic failure.

Bcryan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bad belt in a tire, check and see if it’s in overdrive and the MDS is kicking in, rim bent all will do that.. if not it’s COVID and as long as your truck is you got will live

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tires being screwed are low speed, wheel balance is more high speed the thing that I’m thinking is the apparent change in the symptom after going as you say, up to 80mph it stops. But it’s there between 73-78. That’s drag coming into play somewhere that’s causing it on a rotational part or a part that controls the rotational force. Maybe carrier bearing if you have one? Pinion yolk? Does it happen below 70, if it does it’s you can rule drag and vehicle lift. Have some one drive behind you and see if they see anything happening.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
sound like a balance problem some where, U joints can do weird things, look good, but when you pull them apart, seized up switch the tires around? maybe, grasping at straws now.

OP
OP
R

Ramman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an appointment with discount tire for a road force test this afternoon. Gonna have them look at the wheels to for any dents.

and regarding the pinion nut, it was repaired By the dealer ship when it was recalled but could that go bad again?

We will see what discount tire has to say. I’ll update soon.

OP
OP
R

Ramman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update... discount tire did the road force and found the tire was out 0.05 on there scale almost nothing they said, also no dents on any of the rims.

I went ahead and checked my u-joints and no play in any of them. Driveshaft weights look to be in order to.

When I was under the truck I was able to move my rear control arms with a not so firm twist, bushings look fine but I don’t think that’s supposed to happen.

this is starting to drive me crazy.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Update... discount tire did the road force and found the tire was out 0.05 on there scale almost nothing they said, also no dents on any of the rims.

I went ahead and checked my u-joints and no play in any of them. Driveshaft weights look to be in order to.

When I was under the truck I was able to move my rear control arms with a not so firm twist, bushings look fine but I don’t think that’s supposed to happen.

this is starting to drive me crazy.
Check your cv shafts where they attach to the front differential. The splines at that slip connection go bad. I had the exact issue you mentioned, at almost the same speeds. Tried about 5 different tire and wheel combos, had my rear driveshaft gone over, and only after I redid my front differential intermediate shafts did it solve it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

Ramman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check your cv shafts where they attach to the front differential. The splines at that slip connection go bad. I had the exact issue you mentioned, at almost the same speeds. Tried about 5 different tire and wheel combos, had my rear driveshaft gone over, and only after I redid my front differential intermediate shafts did it solve it.

My right side one is good and solid. But my left one I replaced back in March and had the same issue you speak of. Replaced the shaft and cv intermittent shaft, then finished of with a new seal.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
My right side one is good and solid. But my left one I replaced back in March and had the same issue you speak of. Replaced the shaft and cv intermittent shaft, then finished of with a new seal.
Can you isolate the general area of the "shake". Front or rear biased?

OP
OP
R

Ramman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can you isolate the general area of the "shake". Front or rear biased?

rear of the truck.

No shake or vibration in the steering wheel or front of the truck.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
rear of the truck.

No shake or vibration in the steering wheel or front of the truck.
Chock the front wheels up, get the truck up on Jack stands under the axles as and make it as safe as you can. Then have someone sit in the truck and "drive it" with the rear off the ground. Then you can visually try and see if anything looks be out of balance somewhere.

Regcabguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 I-6
I had BFG AT's on my first 2500. Got them at Discount. They had highway vibes from day 1. The tires took from 4-9 oz of weight to balance. I complained and they road forced them. Same deal. I asked the manager to go for a ride with me. He stated that the tires "zeroed out" and there was nothing he could do. In frustration I sold the pos BFG's on Craigslist and bought Toyos. Never an issue since. I've had their MT's,AT's the whole enchilada. Never an issue on two trucks. I keep thinking I'll stray to Coops or something but I'm very reluctant. If it works don't fix it. Try switching the tires fore and aft and see if the vibes continue. BTW,Discount said to contact BFG and they told me to talk to Discount Tire. Basically,hung out to dry by both companies. I don't hold grudges and Discount delivers good service to me these days.

Regcabguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 I-6
Double post,sorry. I had BFG AT's on my first 2500. Got them at Discount. They had highway vibes from day 1. The tires took from 4-9 oz of weight to balance. I complained and they road forced them. Same deal. I asked the manager to go for a ride with me. He stated that the tires "zeroed out" and there was nothing he could do. In frustration I sold the pos BFG's on Craigslist and bought Toyos. Never an issue since. I've had their MT's,AT's the whole enchilada. Never an issue on two trucks. I keep thinking I'll stray to Coops or something but I'm very reluctant. If it works don't fix it. Try switching the tires fore and aft and see if the vibes continue. BTW,Discount said to contact BFG and they told me to talk to Discount Tire. Basically,hung out to dry by both companies. I don't hold grudges and Discount delivers good service to me these days.

Danny285

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had the same problem on 2004 1500,had it in garage wheels chocked,looking underneath for something loose,grabbed the drive shaft to move further under noticed u joints had a lot of play

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank