Wich CIA works the best?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smallblock421

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am gettin ready to add some mods. And would like sum suggestions on wich CAI,Exhaust, and Programer works best. For the 4th gen 5.7

Talon_66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Search... this topic has been covered about 50 times in the past 2 days. Look a few threads down

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Darrell, are you planning to take your truck to the track, or are you just looking to have a little more fun with your everyday driver? If you plan to race the truck, then I would get a Vararam, longtube headers, and a Diablo tuner with Hemifever custom tuning. If you are just looking to have a little fun, then the S&B intake and Diablo tuner w/ Hemifever tuning is what I would go with.

The tuner is without a doubt going to be your best bang for buck upgrade, so I would start with that first.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Go with Vararam and Moe's TB, that's what i have and love it. Will be getting longtubes probably after deployment to compliment my intake upgrades. As far as programmer, honestly I had bad luck with Diablosport. Bought it from Hemifever which their service is fine but Diablo didn't have my CAL ID and i fought with that for 4 months. Called every 2-3 weeks and would always get a different answer. Halfway through they kept saying it will be in the next update. After 2 updates and still didn't work I gave up and bought Bullydog. It's not a custom tune but I'm happy with it and at least it actually works.

pld

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Wow, I thought that Diablosport Hemifever was the BEST for our truck's? Now what ?

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Wow, I thought that Diablosport Hemifever was the BEST for our truck's? Now what ?
I've never had an issue with mine. The only thing I don't like is 34 minutes to initially install the tune! Lol

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I have a Diablo Trinity T 1000, S&B intake with an MBRP cat back. I've noticed nice gains with those 3! Really wakes the truck up! Plus my mileage increased, which will be nice when I get my 35's! Lol

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi

It is. A few months ago, Diablo just had a few new PCM part #'s from the latest '14 models that were not supported due to the new PCM part# not being in their system. That was fixed months ago, and everything is working flawlessly on all the Ram trucks now.

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
Vararam and 89mm TB from Moe's, my truck loved both of these.

dtru1222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Go with Vararam and Moe's TB, that's what i have and love it. Will be getting longtubes probably after deployment to compliment my intake upgrades. As far as programmer, honestly I had bad luck with Diablosport. Bought it from Hemifever which their service is fine but Diablo didn't have my CAL ID and i fought with that for 4 months. Called every 2-3 weeks and would always get a different answer. Halfway through they kept saying it will be in the next update. After 2 updates and still didn't work I gave up and bought Bullydog. It's not a custom tune but I'm happy with it and at least it actually works.

Can you custom tune with a Bully Dog? If not then its not recommended to add the Long Tubes.

Vararam and 89mm TB from Moe's, my truck loved both of these.

89mm on a 5.7? Seems way too large. There was a breakdown on some other forums that shows that the fastman modded stock TB flows enough for the 5.7, unless your going to stroke or supercharge it.

dtru1222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Darrell, are you planning to take your truck to the track, or are you just looking to have a little more fun with your everyday driver? If you plan to race the truck, then I would get a Vararam, longtube headers, and a Diablo tuner with Hemifever custom tuning. If you are just looking to have a little fun, then the S&B intake and Diablo tuner w/ Hemifever tuning is what I would go with.

The tuner is without a doubt going to be your best bang for buck upgrade, so I would start with that first.

+1

Vararam will be the best performing at the track and the 5.7 shines with some long tubes.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
To the OP... The CIA is the best CIA, no other intelligence organization has come close to screwing up more operations than the CIA, not even MI6. :)

Can you custom tune with a Bully Dog? If not then its not recommended to add the Long Tubes.

No custom tuning with Bully Dog, only option for that is a Diablo.

89mm on a 5.7? Seems way too large. There was a breakdown on some other forums that shows that the fastman modded stock TB flows enough for the 5.7, unless your going to stroke or supercharge it.

He meant 87mm, Matt doesn't have an 89mm. And as the author of that breakdown on the other forums I'll remind you that there's a difference between a true-bore and a ported throttle body. Moe's and Bully's are ported throttle bodies, not true-bore.

dtru1222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To the OP... The CIA is the best CIA, no other intelligence organization has come close to screwing up more operations than the CIA, not even MI6. :)

No custom tuning with Bully Dog, only option for that is a Diablo.

He meant 87mm, Matt doesn't have an 89mm. And as the author of that breakdown on the other forums I'll remind you that there's a difference between a true-bore and a ported throttle body. Moe's and Bully's are ported throttle bodies, not true-bore.

The fastman modded stock TB was the recommended application for the 5.7 correct?

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
The fastman modded stock TB was the recommended application for the 5.7 correct?

No, it was one of the potential applications. Each throttle body must be matched to the mods on the engine, I won't ever say that one TB is the best for an engine. For instance, my 5.7L now runs a bone stock 80mm TB because we couldn't get it tuned properly for daily driving with the BBK true-bore 85mm TB that I had on it before I started pushing 15psi through the system. The fastman 84mm was a recommended TB for one of the people that was very interested in that thread when it was built but he was running full bolt-ons and planning a fairly aggressive cam and head swap as well. For everything up to and including LT headers a ported 80mm butterfly TB is more than sufficient, whatever diameter porting is up to you and who you buy it from.

I'm in the minority on this but I always say that a TB should be one of the last things added to an engine, not one of the first, but given the low price tag on a ported TB it's low hanging fruit on the modification tree and gets picked before other items that would have a greater benefit over the TB.

Last edited:

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
how much HP does a tuner REALLY add? I have heard almost nothing and not worth the money...plus I've heard of many trucks getting screwed up from these. True or no? Real world info would be great....like dyno before/after etc.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
A tuner is what ties all the other mods together. Minimal mods = minimal gains, heavy mods = heavy gains. If you put JUST the tuner on a stock truck then you'll probably get 15-25rwhp realistically on a 93 octane tune. Full bolt-ons with a custom tune and you'll be seeing 50-60rwhp over stock combined. Forced or chemical induction and you NEED a tuner to make it run properly then sky's the limit for rwhp.

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
Yup meant 87mm

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A tuner is what ties all the other mods together. Minimal mods = minimal gains, heavy mods = heavy gains. If you put JUST the tuner on a stock truck then you'll probably get 15-25rwhp realistically on a 93 octane tune. Full bolt-ons with a custom tune and you'll be seeing 50-60rwhp over stock combined. Forced or chemical induction and you NEED a tuner to make it run properly then sky's the limit for rwhp.

What type of gains would I expect with just an Intake K&N Blackhawk and a FlowMaster Super 10 muffler? Not too much? So is the $400.00 price tag worth it? Would I at least save on fuel? is the tuner damaging to my truck at all?

dtru1222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For everything up to and including LT headers a ported 80mm butterfly TB is more than sufficient, whatever diameter porting is up to you and who you buy it from.

This is what I was stating. That for a stock to light moded 5.7 the stock TB flows enough, but the ported or fastman modded TB is the recommendation.

You dont need to bigger unless you have bigger mods planned.

how much HP does a tuner REALLY add? I have heard almost nothing and not worth the money...plus I've heard of many trucks getting screwed up from these. True or no? Real world info would be great....like dyno before/after etc.

The actual HP gain is minimal, however it is the biggest bang for your buck mod. The torque reduction alone is worth the price.

Those who have had bad experiences with it probably dont know how to trouble shoot their issues.