Wifi backup camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buckeyepost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
RVS-020813 | WiFi Backup Camera System

Anyone use anything like this on their truck? Looks pretty straight forward. I already keep my phone in a hands free dock on my dash so thought this would serve a purpose when hooking up trailers and watching out for my kids and their toys.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
wireless modules are hit or miss. i used one in my old '13 because i was too lazy to wire the cam all the way up front. if i kept the truck anymore i would have hardwired the quality was yet to be desired.

OP
OP
B

buckeyepost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thanks for the input. the main thing for me is I don't want something else sitting on my dash, I mean my phone is already there so it would be cool if I could use it for the cam too. I don't really care about video quality I guess as long as I can see what's going on behind me.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
what factory radio do you have?

OP
OP
B

buckeyepost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the standard non fancy one with no big display

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
without replacing your radio with an aftermarket one you are limited then to something like this or one of the kits where you replace your mirror with a new one that has a screen in it.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As Baum said, they are hit or miss. In my experience they are more on the miss side. Usually when they do work, you still get lines, rolling picture, and static. Only one worth a damn is the Garmin one.

OP
OP
B

buckeyepost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
that sucks, you would think in today's wireless world that someone could make a quality product for this application. I thought the demand would be higher but I guess most new cars have them built in now. And even if I used the Garmin one I'm assuming I'd need a Garmin on my dash... I might just give the one I posted in the link a try and if it doesn't work return it. Thanks for all the input!