will a tuner give me power in the lower RPM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I've been thinking about getting a tuner to go with my CIA and exhaust but all the stats I see on these are in the higher Tom's. I'm not sure which one it is but claims 21 HP bump at 5900 rpm and torque gain up around 3400 or something. Maybe its just me but I don't ever hit those marks. Maybe 3400 rpm for a quick second if I'm getting on the highway but never getting close to 5900 rpm. This seems like it would be a waste of money for me. Is there a tuner that would give me decent gains in the 1500-3000 rpm range?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
When I installed the DiabloSport Predator on my HEMI truck, the available HP and torque at lower RPM's increased dramatically.

Here's my before and after dyno chart:

D08.jpg

ron-333

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I realize that I have a 5.7 and yours is the 4.7 engine, but I can tell you that the programmer will DEFINITELY give better low-end performance. As to exactly how much, I cannot say since I never had mine dyno'd but there's no question that my SC-3865 made a HUGE difference in how my truck pulls off-the-line as well as throughout the rpm band. The same is true when I had an SCT for my '96 that I sold last year. I have always wanted more low-to-mid-range power and have not been disappointed by either of those programmers. I have only used SCT and SC programmers though, so I couldn't give a personal review of the DSP. There are numerous threads and forum discussions on the subject of tuners which reflect the same opinion.

Bottom line... a good programmer will make you smile every time you drive no matter how you're driving and is money well-spent! There's my $.02 on the subject. I hope it helps.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Gears would prob help you more if you stay in that lower range. The tuners help by changing timing and fueling, cant say if it will be across the board though.

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
^+1, I agree that if you're goin for low end torque, gears would be perfect :)

ron-333

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like me, you could do both... :peace:
This option will be expensive, but very effective. Don't worry though, a good tuner will give you plenty to smile about!

Hammer_Z71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There's not really a viable tuner that does an '02, not with enough low end gains to really notice. Custom tuned Diablo or SCT maybe, but they don't give any tranny support and it's the firmer lines in the tranny and the reduction of TM that you'd really feel down low. You should start to feel gains a good bit lower than where you do now, but it's not gonna be the same as guys with '04+ trucks (Superchips) or '05+ trucks (Diablo) where they start tuning the TCM...

If you can afford it, gears will give you the best bang, although a dyno won't show it because you really aren't gaining any HP or TQ, BUT the big thing with gears is that you get the engine RPMs up into the power band sooner, at a lower speed than with stock gears, so there is a very big perception of low end gains. Huge benefit off the line or when towing/hauling...

Last edited:

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Gears would prob help you more if you stay in that lower range. The tuners help by changing timing and fueling, cant say if it will be across the board though.

i agree....gears will give you the most low end boost