Will I have to go to the dealer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had an ABS light come on last week. A friend has the latest high dollar OBD scan tool around. He couldn't get the light to reset, said it was locked.

Is a trip to the dealer in store to reset it, or will driving the truck a while reset the light? I don't want to disconnect the battery and lose all my settings.

The problem is fixed, and it didn't require removing any parts or unplugging and wires.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just drive it for a while should correct its self if the issue was fixed not sure why your buddys scanner couldnt reset it my matco scanner has no issue doing this I would un hook the battery and redo my
settings before i wasted my time and money going to a dealer lmaoo.

HuskerRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
What JWS123 said. If that doesn't work, I recommend a shop you trust over the dealership...cheaper ticket for the same result (or better!).

OP
OP
Yardbird

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What settings are you worried about losing by unplugging the battery? They're written to non-volatile memory so you shouldn't lose anything.
I've had this truck for a year, and have the transmission learned to my driving style with the shift points and downshift points. They were nowhere close to my driving style when I bought it. Don't want to go into relearn mode again.

Talked to my son. He has a unit that should do it at his place. If not, they have a tech who is licensed with all the major brands to use their data to reset codes.

If driving doesn't fix it, I will get him to do it. The light doesn't bother me, and if the cruise doesn't work, that's fine, as I don't use that around here anyway.

Thanks for the replies.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mmmmm 2018. Your friend is right. He couldn't clear the code/s b/c he didn't have a secure gateway. That's an interface device need for scan tools on FCA products starting in 2018.

Why do you need it? B/c there was a famous incident where hackers intentionally took over a Jeep Grand Cherokee remotely, in a well-publicized youtube demonstration years ago. So, it's for you or your tk's protection. Yeah, if your son has access to one, then you can do it via the scan tool. Or you could buy one if you plan to have the Ram for a while.

OP
OP
Yardbird

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mmmmm 2018. Your friend is right. He couldn't clear the code/s b/c he didn't have a secure gateway. That's an interface device need for scan tools on FCA products starting in 2018.

Why do you need it? B/c there was a famous incident where hackers intentionally took over a Jeep Grand Cherokee remotely, in a well-publicized youtube demonstration years ago. So, it's for you or your tk's protection. Yeah, if your son has access to one, then you can do it via the scan tool. Or you could buy one if you plan to have the Ram for a while.

With the gateway tool, will he be able to change the stupid engine fan settings to go on high at a lower temperature?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Maybe ....if you have AlfaOBD. Not sure about the latest Snap-on or other scanners. Snap-on scanners can do a lot, and change a lot of settings. But not sure about the fan. I'm guessing probably not. AlfaOBD *might* ....maybe someone else can chime in who has it.