Winter Tires and Wheels 2023 1500 Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTGranite

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI eTorque
Been reading all the great advice here. My new 2023 1500 Limited's stock 22" Parilli's are not getting the job done at this point in the year. I ran AT on my 2021 1500 Laramie based on the advice you gave me at that time and had 18" wheels. I'm debating between a winter and an AT with a different set of rims. I'm in NW Montana and make regular runs to Fernie and Cranbrook BC to the north and the Flathead Valley to the south, all on 2 lane roads with varying elevations. Occasional hwy. mountain pass runs From reading here, it looks like I may be better off with an 18" in the winter. Am I seeing this correctly? Then switching back to my pretty stock wheels and 22"s in late spring. Then the question becomes, based on my winter driving, which would you do? Also, do you have a favorite wheel?

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I like 18s but I'm sure you can go up or down a little if you had a set you liked as long as you still put a good tire on it. If it were me, I would go winter tire on the 18s and and AT on the 22s for summer. I was just thinking last week that if I had another set of wheels that's what I would do at least. In nebraska an AT is sufficient for winter driving but up in your part of the world I would be much more comfortable with a true snow tire.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I am a firm believer that a true winter tire is a tool for a specific purpose, just as a "summer" tire is a tool with its purpose. For my driving (in our van) I have snows for winter in the mountains of MD, PA and NY and then really good driving tires for rain and dry pavement for the non-snow driving. I may do the same with my truck once I need new tires where I would have good driving tires and then separate steel rims with dedicated winters. Of course this is my world, if someone is regularly off road year round, then a more aggressive tread at the expense of smoother highway driving is needed year round.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
For those that can afford double rims and tires, yes, that is the ultimate in ambient performance.

For those of us who can't or won't or in borderline seasonal country, General Grabber ATX are excellent. So are Falken ATX

OP
OP
MTGranite

MTGranite

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI eTorque
Thanks Guys! I think I'm going with the BFG Trail Terrain on my 22" wheels. Depending on how they run, I may leave them on unless I'm doing a lot of interstate driving. So, I'll store the Parelli's for now, they only have 6K miles on them. My other tire of choice is the Falken Wildpeak, at a higher price point of course. 22" tires are pricey. Now if only I can get an appointment to get them installed. I did learn one other spec of information regarding my version of the 2023 1500 RAM Limited. Apparently, some 18" wheels may not clear the brake calipers. The tire folks at Dave Smith Motors in ID mentioned this as they have had experience with this happening. And no I'm not buying from the dealer, much as I've been happier with them vs my local dealer, they actually recommended I check with Costco and Discount. I thought about heading up to Cranbrook or Fernie, but I think I'll stay stateside on this purchase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357