Wiper motor on '12 Ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Col Paul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My wiper motor died and I just got a replacement from Advanced Auto. Put the replacement in and they still aren't working. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for these? Not sure if there is a module between the switch (with intermittent settings) and the motor.

I took the connector cover off the old motor and the 1st three pins go to the motor and the 3rd makes or breaks a connection to the 4th (parked or not sensor). I assume the 1st three pins are high, low, and ground. Very frustrated driving around without wipers. Thanks in advance!

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My wiper motor died and I just got a replacement from Advanced Auto. Put the replacement in and they still aren't working. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for these? Not sure if there is a module between the switch (with intermittent settings) and the motor.

I took the connector cover off the old motor and the 1st three pins go to the motor and the 3rd makes or breaks a connection to the 4th (parked or not sensor). I assume the 1st three pins are high, low, and ground. Very frustrated driving around without wipers. Thanks in advance!
Just looked at the wiring diagram and fuse J20 in the TIPM supplies B+ battery power to the wiper on/off relay inside the TIPM. Check that fuse. Fuse M13, M15 and Fuse J21 are also in the wiper circuits for the ignition run/start and the washer pump. The TIPM is what controls the wiper motor. The TIPM receives input from the Steering Column Module when you turn the switch on the wiper stalk.

OP
OP
C

Col Paul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks everyone for the information. I'll start troubleshooting again this afternoon.

I did check J21 with my multimeter. I'll check the others as well.

I did notice that the daylight sensor does not appear to be working now and the lights are on while driving in broad daylight. That started about the time the wiper motor died. Not sure if it is related or not.

OP
OP
C

Col Paul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After thinking more about the headlights being on constantly while running, I'm suspecting it is tied to the headlight on while wiper running function vs. issue wit the daylight sensor.

OP
OP
C

Col Paul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, especially to DILLIGAF. I was able to confirm that the new wiper motor is defective.

However, in the process I could not find either the on/off relay or the hi/lo relay in the TIPM. The diagram from DILLIGAF's document shows that the relays are in the TIPM but they aren't labeled in the schematic nor did any of the relays listed in the TIPM lid (K1, K2, etc.) match the description. Are they inside the TIPM or maybe mounted to the circuit board? It is a moot point now that I know the power to the wiper motor is good, but I am still curious.

Also, lights resumed normal day/night operation once I replaced the original, but broken, wiper motor back in the circuit, so I suspect that the wiper park signal was telling the TIPM to turn on the lights with the wipers.

Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 21.01.19.png

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
giphy.gif

Sorry. Couldn’t resist this one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk