Wonky headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toooch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
2014 1500 Laramie. It was in a front end wreck and salvaged by my auto body buddy. He installed new headlights but they’ve never been quite right. It’s easier to see the issue when moving, so have attached a video. High beams look fine. Any idea what would cause this blizarre pattern?

Attachments

• IMG_8156.jpeg
    IMG_8156.jpeg
    114.4 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
Toooch

Toooch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Looks like I can’t attach the vid from my iPhone. Hopefully the pic gives a sense of what’s going on.

gtomike60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Were the headlights replaced with new OEM,used OEM,or aftermarket?
It looks like the passenger headlight is fine
Is it possible the bulb isn't seated quite right,or the reflector is damaged,or it moved?
Some aftermarket are built very poorly,and a used OEM could be damaged internally without being apparent

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks like they were replaced with aftermarket OEM style projectors. That's why you see the stepped pattern. The step is more desirable, since it drops off on the driver side, minimizing glare (can get more distance without affecting oncoming traffic). But. Many people aren't a fan of it. The headlight aim is also way off. He could have at least pulled it up to a wall and aligned the cutoffs so they were even. Both look like they are way too low still.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Pull up to a wall of some kind, flat parking surface, headlights maybe 3' away from the wall.
make a mark with some painters tape, where the headlight cast there beam.

Now back away from the wall to 25 feet

see where the light beam strikes the wall & adjust the light beam to light up the tape.

That will put your head lights in the right general area

OP
OP
Toooch

Toooch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks for the replies.
Can you adjust the actual seating of the bulb? I thought those were fixed in place. I was going to take the headlight out to see but it's a bit involved so just wanted to see if this was a common problem first.
Yes, they were probably not OEM but more likely aftermarket. We were trying to keep a lid on expenses as this is just used to haul the boat around locally and for first responder calls. Not a daily driver but this is making me nuts.
I'll try readjusting.

" (can get more distance without affecting oncoming traffic). "
funny you should say that. I have always thought they're too low but was reluctant to raise them any more because I did (once) get an oncoming car flash the high beams at me. I'll give it a try and see if everyone freaks out.