Wont start after cam/lifter swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramnm08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Changed cam/lifters and now she wont start. All marks on phaser, crank, chain, etc all lined up and #1 @ TDC. Gets spark and has no compression on cyl 1. Definitely getting fuel. Plugs are soaked. Checked all fuses under the hood. Also, it's blowing air back through the throttle body instead of sucking air. I dont see how it could be 180 degrees out. Especially since everything was installed the same as it was taken apart.

Last edited:

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Changed cam/lifters and now she wont start. All marks on phaser, crank, chain, etc all lined up and #1 @ TDC. Gets spark and has compression. Definitely getting fuel. Plugs are soaked. Checked all fuses under the hood. Also, it's blowing air back through the throttle body instead of sucking air. I dont see how it could be 180 degrees out. Especially since everything was installed the same as it was taken apart.
Got to have installed timing chain/phaser off, probably have bent push rods now.

Excellent write up here:https://www.ramforum.com/threads/how-to-4th-gen-hemi-cam-installation.82531/

OP
OP
R

Ramnm08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got to have installed timing chain/phaser off, probably have bent push rods now.

Excellent write up here:https://www.ramforum.com/threads/how-to-4th-gen-hemi-cam-installation.82531/

Thats the write up I followed lmao. I'm going to pull the push rods and check them. My cam sprocket/phaser does not have the mark on it like that link shows. There is a mark on the back side of the sprocket that put the cam pin at the 3 o clock position and I'm pretty sure it needs to be at 9 o clock.

Lee Peterson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The mark on mine lines up with the 1 medium sized hole on the cam phazer, the cam pin slot will be at 12 oclock. The cam pin slot and timing mark are at the same spot.

OP
OP
R

Ramnm08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Makes sense. So I'm only 90 out lol. I'll check tomorrow when I tear it back down. So, crank sprocket dimple should be at 6 o clock and cam pin and phaser mark at 12??

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you have MDS, did you make sure to put the right lifters in the proper holes? If you put them wrong. You’ll get that issue on startup cause of the lack of lifter prime. It’s odd that you have no compression though, that doesn’t make sense, if your pushrods are bent they wouldn’t be holding a valve open causing no compression. They would be bent and not holding anything open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
No compression on #1 most likely bent valve or valves not closing all the way.
That along with bent push rods will happen if timing is off far enough.
Leak down test would confirm on cylinder 1.

OP
OP
R

Ramnm08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you have MDS, did you make sure to put the right lifters in the proper holes? If you put them wrong. You’ll get that issue on startup cause of the lack of lifter prime. It’s odd that you have no compression though, that doesn’t make sense, if your pushrods are bent they wouldn’t be holding a valve open causing no compression. They would be bent and not holding anything open.

Luckily no mds on this one.

OP
OP
R

Ramnm08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No compression on #1 most likely bent valve or valves not closing all the way.
That along with bent push rods will happen if timing is off far enough.
Leak down test would confirm on cylinder 1.

I'm hoping nothing bent or broke due to my stupidity. It ran fine prior to, except for the misfire. I'm going to take it apart tomorrow and check the push rods. I'm hoping just the timing being out is my issue. Not holding my breath but fingers are crossed.

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What year and model u working on?

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
I'm hoping nothing bent or broke due to my stupidity. It ran fine prior to, except for the misfire. I'm going to take it apart tomorrow and check the push rods. I'm hoping just the timing being out is my issue. Not holding my breath but fingers are crossed.

Hope you get lucky.
Posted a link earlier where a guy did the same thing with timing off.
Know 1 knew he had done that until page 5.
Might want to read:https://www.ramforum.com/posts/1695039/

OP
OP
R

Ramnm08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hope you get lucky.
Posted a link earlier where a guy did the same thing with timing off.
Know 1 knew he had done that until page 5.
Might want to read:https://www.ramforum.com/posts/1695039/

At least his valves were good. I didnt hear any noises from the engine other that the starter free spinning. I'll do the leak down when i get the valve covers and accessories off.