Won't start without Starting Fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
E

EdJordan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Spent most of the day working on this truck and I'm still at the same place as before. Here's a summery of the problem and what I have done..
It's a 2000 Ram with a 5.9, while driving it the engine light came on and it shifted down. Pulled over and shut it off then it wouldn't start.
Problem: Will only start with a squirt of starting fluid, then it runs fine until shut off. In order to start again I have to squirt more starting fluid.
Additional symptoms: the only code is P1389 (ASD), the transmission seems to be in Limp In because it stays in second gear, the truck does not charge.
Parts I have replaced (in order): ASD relay, Cam Sensor, Coil, Crank Sensor, Alternator, Fuel Pump, Oxygen Sensors.
Other things I have checked: all fuses and relays, fuel pressure, Grounds, PCM connections. The security system is not activated, and if I pull the ASD relay while it is running the engine will stop (this tells me ASD seems ok). No output from the alternator.
My thoughts: Since the PCM controls both the injectors and the charging system by a function of turning ground on and off to them(I'm not sure if it controls the transmission in the same way),, I'm thinking it (the PCM) is one of the common components that could cause the truck to not charge as well as not fire the injectors during start-up. I also thought about the ignition switch maybe not sending proper signal to the PCM during start, but I don't think that would cause a no-charge.
Please.. bring on your thoughts and suggestions.

OP
OP
E

EdJordan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I also tried WD-40, Carb cleaner, PB Blaster.. and a couple other things and they all worked to get the engine started. Also just poured some gas into the throttle body and it worked just as well. Seems anything that the plugs will "flash" would probably work to get it started.

OP
OP
E

EdJordan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes it does. I did verify voltage at the connector and has the proper positive. I can also feel and hear the "click" from it.

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And you've reset the PCM? If you've reset and the code comes right back - that means the problem is still there. If the PCM is "bad" it will set a different code. On the list there's actually two for ASD 1388 and 1389. One's the relay and the other is the wiring going to it. What's your location?

OP
OP
E

EdJordan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm near Charleston, West Virginia. Yes, I reset the PCM, and the 1389 comes back. Today I downloaded a wiring diagram and checked all the wiring to and from the PCM, and all checked out ok. I checked for 12volts at the injectors and it was present at power up and during crank. I also jumped over the leads of the ASD, which provided 12v constant at the injectors and coil, and it made no difference.

Pelonmelon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L
Won't start and run without starting fluid

Did you ever solve your starting problem? My '98 Ram 5.9L has EXACTLY the same issue. I've done the exact same things as you (crank sensor, verify fuel pressure, coil, etc...) and still no starting unless I give it a little squirt. I would appreciate any help.

OP
OP
E

EdJordan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes !

It was the PCM. Got one from a parts yard, truck runs and charges fine, but gauges don't work. Not too worried about that right now.

Chief115

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to RF.

Have you actually checked the fuel pressure? It sounds like you don't have pressure pre startup and do after startup.

The recipe calls for fuel, spark and ignition. If it starts with fluid that means you have 2 outa 3 :p so id agree with batman

Pelonmelon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L
Fuel Pressure verified

Fuel pressure reads 49 lbs before starting at the fuel rail port. I guess I will try changing the PCM.