Worth replacing timing belt while changing water pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brabbit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My truck has 170k miles and my water pump is leaking. I've read a lot of conflicting advice about changing the timing chain. Some people say change it while your there and other people say not to touch it because timing chains are good for the lifetime of the engine. I was wondering what y'all think.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
My truck has 170k miles and my water pump is leaking. I've read a lot of conflicting advice about changing the timing chain. Some people say change it while your there and other people say not to touch it because timing chains are good for the lifetime of the engine. I was wondering what y'all think.
Water pump replacement doesn't really get you all that close to the timing chain,but at 170k it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to replace it and the guides/tensioner

htwo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Yes change the serpentine belt. If fhe timing chain isn't causing noise or other issues leave it be.