x pipe question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stevieboy96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If I took out the Y pipe and put x pipe in then put y pipe to tie into muffler will that hurt performance.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
What would be the point if the x pipe if you did that?? Most of the times that there is a x or h pipe it’s for a true dual exhaust setup. I’m more asking that as a curiosity question versus me questioning why you’re doing that.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
If you did that you would need a very large muffler capable of handling the additional flow 2 separate aftermarket mufflers would handle. I don't know what it would do to the flow though. I believe the point of the X pipe is to balance the exhaust valve opening pulses and smooth out the flow.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If I took out the Y pipe and put x pipe in then put y pipe to tie into muffler will that hurt performance.
This would defeat the purpose of the x pipe

OP
OP
Stevieboy96

Stevieboy96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well with what I have read of x pipe was hoping it would help with the exhaust gases being expelled. Didn't know if the Y pipe would negate the effects of the x pipe. Right now just coming up with game plan on doing my exhaust I have a muffler that is one in two out. just was trying to figure best route to go.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
This would defeat the purpose of the x pipe

That’s what I was thinking too. If he used a dual in dual out muffler then he could use the x pipe correctly but I think those are generally the same size inlet and outlet pipes. Otherwise you might have to use 2 separate mufflers to deal with the different size pipes.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well with what I have read of x pipe was hoping it would help with the exhaust gases being expelled. Didn't know if the Y pipe would negate the effects of the x pipe. Right now just coming up with game plan on doing my exhaust I have a muffler that is one in two out. just was trying to figure best route to go.
A good y pipe will give you most of the benefits of the x pipe if you want to stick with your current muffler. The xpipe is the most efficient though as it creates more scavenging.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
That’s what I was thinking too. If he used a dual in dual out muffler then he could use the x pipe correctly but I think those are generally the same size inlet and outlet pipes. Otherwise you might have to use 2 separate mufflers to deal with the different size pipes.

For some reason that's what I read. Headcold...

OP
OP
Stevieboy96

Stevieboy96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks for the information I greatly appreciate it.