Xrsman Towing Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
So today I drove 936 kms pulling my 7x12 14,000 GVWR Moritz Dump trailer. It weighs in at 4000 lbs. Below is my review of how the truck handled, how the 325/60/20 duratracs handled, how the airlift 1000 system affected the trip, the exhaust on a long towing trip, and my fuel mileage.

For anyone who doesn't know I have a 2014 Ram 1500 Hemi. 3.92 gears, 4x4, with a 5" lift and 35's. Engine mods are diablo trinity with 91 octane hemifever custom tune, S&B CAI, catch can, and MBRP cat back exhaust.

f3bfb92ccb26e2a816d5abb6988c57ba.jpg

86c57f0d2f1fd1e24e1f6dd303e62ea4.jpg

These pics weren't from today but it shows you through load anyway!

First I'll discuss the truck itself. The truck has all the power in the world. There were may times where it was in 8th gear just cruising along between 110-120 km/h. (70-75 mph) when I was off the major highways (which wasn't often) it would be in 8th no problem. I used tow haul most of the time as well. There were a few times I actually forgot the trailer was there! I just couldn't feel it. The trailer had very little effect on the truck other than the noticeable fuel mileage drop and loss of "snap". My pressures and temperatures stayed the same the whole trip, even when it got to 28°C. Again this was doing 110-120 so I was happy. At one point I wanted to test the power in stop and go traffic. I took traction control off and floored it from a stop. I broke the 35's loose with the trailer on! I let off the throttle right after because the treads are soft and at $600 a tire I don't want to burn them off :)

Now let's discuss the tires. I was skeptical of how the duratracs would handle the trailer I had heard from people that because of their soft sidewalls it would make towing a little sporty. I was pleasantly surprised! They seemed to work great! I didn't ever have side wall roll even doing 90 kmh (55mph) around more aggressive corners. (I did this with the intention of testing the tires). There was a more noticeable tire whine because of the added weight but as soon the radio was on a bit I couldn't hear it anymore. I actually like the whine so I didn't mind at all.

As usual the airlift 1000 system worked well. At 31 psi in each bag the truck was perfectly level. It sat down from 45" in the rear to 44". This is measuring from the ground to the bottom of the wheel well on both sides. The front of the truck measures 44". The air bags also made the ride much smoother. I know it doesn't have a ton of tongue weight but when the road gets bumpy etgout airbags the back end used to bounce. Not at all with these, but it also want rough. It felt smooth like the trailer wasn't there. Which is why at one point I forgot I had it on until I looked back! Lol. I also found that they reduced the bit of sway when passing transports or changing lanes.

I didn't notice the exhaust being annoying at all this trip. Most of it was above 100 kmh except for 2 hours when I was in stop and go (combined throughout the trip) and 2.5 hours where I was off a major highway. With music on I couldn't hear it until the truck geared down. I didn't notice much drone at all so I was happy.

My fuel mileage was pretty good IMO considering how I was driving!

I drove 936 kms and used 187 liters of fuel. That's 20 L/100 kms ( 14 mpg UK or 12 MPG US). Now I drove for 12.5 hours today. 2 was in stop and go, 2.5 was driving 90 km/h, and 8 of it was driving 70-75 mph. Considering the speed companied with heavy 35's, a lift and a 4000 lb trailer I think that's pretty good! I'm happy with how the truck performed and the mileage that I got on the trip!

It cost me $230 in fuel. 2 fill ups at $1.229 per liter.

Klaus96

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 CC Laramie 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks for sharing! Always nice to have useful feedback on power, mileage and tire performance! :favorites13:

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Good info! Thanks for posting that.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Awesome info.

OP
OP
xrsman

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I'll update the thread with another towing review once I pull my dad's RV with the weight distribution set up. The truck didn't to bad without it, but it was more spongy than I'd like. The trailer had a 900 lb tongue weight. (It was also missing the two 30lb propane tanks)

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Now let's discuss the tires. I was skeptical of how the duratracs would handle the trailer I had heard from people that because of their soft sidewalls it would make towing a little sporty. I was pleasantly surprised! They seemed to work great! I didn't ever have side wall roll even doing 90 kmh (55mph) around more aggressive corners. (I did this with the intention of testing the tires). There was a more noticeable tire whine because of the added weight but as soon the radio was on a bit I couldn't hear it anymore. I actually like the whine so I didn't mind at all. .

Are the Duratracs in that size E Range? I had them on my F250 but they were 285 75 16 and E Rated and I towed plenty with them and they were awesome.

OP
OP
xrsman

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Are the Duratracs in that size E Range? I had them on my F250 but they were 285 75 16 and E Rated and I towed plenty with them and they were awesome.
Yep they're E rated tires at this size!