Yet another oil question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't see a lot from stp on oil filters, so I would never run it. Some guys who looked into them think they are clones to walmart super tech filters made by champ labs on bitog. But I cant find no tech into on stp.com or oil filter data, so I'm not going to go further. You have to make info easy to find, if someone is interested to go further with it, kudo's.
I run the puraltor boss filter and edge. I have knock on wood never had any issues. STP and Fram in the review videos I have seen are awful. M1 looked to be a good filter. I wasn't impressed with K&N. I do really like wix and Napa premium ones. Basically a wix filter rebranded. Have you read any reviews on the car quest filter? I almost didn't find my puraltor boss filter. I didn't look at it, but I need to look at it next time I am in Advanced Auto.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I know that Boss reformulated their filter and now it it supposedly great, many people on the forum run them. I think it sounds like a top 5 filter for sure as long as you get the new ones. I don't know anything about carquest, and like I said, I only run filters if the info was easy to access and 100% syn fiber with good bypass. You have to earn my business, I run fram ultra in the wife's car, RP in the hemi.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Last note, don't take oil filter choice lightly, it may be more important then the oil you use.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know that Boss reformulated their filter and now it it supposedly great, many people on the forum run them. I think it sounds like a top 5 filter for sure as long as you get the new ones. I don't know anything about carquest, and like I said, I only run filters if the info was easy to access and 100% syn fiber with good bypass. You have to earn my business, I run fram ultra in the wife's car, RP in the hemi.
I have been running the boss for 4 years now. Next time you go to get oil, look at how well built it is. Its heavy too. I run the boss filter and PUP in the Charger. I believe it isn't spec for the Charger. I need to look at my owners manual tomorrow.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I have been running the boss for 4 years now. Next time you go to get oil, look at how well built it is. Its heavy too. I run the boss filter and PUP in the Charger. I believe it isn't spec for the Charger. I need to look at my owners manual tomorrow.

My issue with Purolator BOSS is that when I ran it (the older synthetic model) by truck ticked, and when I went to RP with no oil change, yes tick went away. So I gave up on boss, however that was before the noted redo of their filters. Personally, I have no reason to look beyond RP, I found my filter. However, I like the new boss, if RP folded today, the new boss would be on a very short list of my potential filters.

They used to have bypass rating on RP, I do believe it is higher then boss, maybe as much as 10psi less, but cant say 100 anymore. Which means, in some places like cold regions, maybe puro boss is even better then RP. In my area, RP serves me well.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My issue with Purolator BOSS is that when I ran it (the older synthetic model) by truck ticked, and when I went to RP with no oil change, yes tick went away. So I gave up on boss, however that was before the noted redo of their filters. Personally, I have no reason to look beyond RP, I found my filter. However, I like the new boss, if RP folded today, the new boss would be on a very short list of my potential filters.

They used to have bypass rating on RP, I do believe it is higher then boss, maybe as much as 10psi less, but cant say 100 anymore. Which means, in some places like cold regions, maybe puro boss is even better then RP. In my area, RP serves me well.

I am the same way. Once I find what works, I stick with it. In my fords over the years I ran Mobil 1 and a motorcraft or wix filter. With my Chevys it was always wix and mobil 1. I might really look into the Puraltor boss filter. It might work well for your truck.

Killface3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 HEMI
Your mechanic wouldn't suggest changing the recommended oil viscosity if he knew what was going on. That's like throwing a hand grenade or playing horseshoes. As long as you get close......

Ram Vendetta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Amazes me that some people would want an answer to such a half assed question. How about including The year? The MOTOR? Ridiculous.
I've replaced the oil pressure sensor and camshaft sensor. But had code p1524 code pop up today. Wife took it to a shop today and had the truck scanned.

Mechanic mentioned using 10w30. Would this be recommended by anyone here.

Recently changed oil pump pan gasket and cleaned pick up tube and strainer.

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you are trying to bump up the oil pressure, higher weight oil won’t help... sounds like bearings may be bad..... you supplied a wealth of information about your engine and everything so .... you figure it out. We are not mind readers...
Had a rewards credit at autozone. Been using fram so I went and got a mobile 1 high performance. Didn't change oil. Just filter. Pressure went from 47 psi with fram to 68 psi with Mobil 1 on startup. Obviously having a filter issue.

If the mobil 1 performs better til oil change I'll never go back to fram.
THERE’S your sign... kinda like putting a metal roof on an trailer.... Fram filters have got to be the absolute worst filters made (IMO). You would be better off with OEM mopar filters any day!

TOTALCHAOS69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Castrol is some of the best oil on the planet. Synthetic or conventional! My trucks got 208k on it and oil pressure is great. I’ve been using K&N 2010 and Edge 5w30.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I run the puraltor boss filter and edge. I have knock on wood never had any issues. STP and Fram in the review videos I have seen are awful. M1 looked to be a good filter. I wasn't impressed with K&N. I do really like wix and Napa premium ones. Basically a wix filter rebranded. Have you read any reviews on the car quest filter? I almost didn't find my puraltor boss filter. I didn't look at it, but I need to look at it next time I am in Advanced Auto.

I've used two purolator filters on my truck and both leaked. Wont ever use them again. They were the higher end ones before the most recent rebrand to Boss I believe. I have had good luck with Wix and Mobil 1 filters on all my vehicles.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Leaked where? There is a butt plate and a rubber ring, and a thread. So if you tighten the rubber ring to the butt plate, literally the only way it could possibly leak is if the threads loosen? Or are you saying somewhere from rubber ring "out" was leaking? So since you went away from puro's you have had no leaks?