YOUR 2ND CHOISE if there was no ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My other truck is a GMC 3.0L diesel so I would just get another one.

My ideal truck: ram 1500 big horn with the GM 10 speed and 3.0 duramax. It's faster than the 5.3 and gets incredible MPG (even more than the ED). One can dream.

GeometryFletch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Chevy, less $$$$$ than Ford. Maybe I'll quit my job, live off the gov't and buy a used Honda Ridgeline. lol

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I find the ZF 8-speed a better trans than the Ford/GM 10-speed

The Ford and GM transmissions are not the same, even though they share a history. For whatever reason, probably software/tuning, the GM is way better than the Ford. I'd rank them GM 10 > ZF 8 > Ford 10 based on my testing and feedback I've seen on the forums.

The GM 10 speeds is not necessarily better tuned than the ZF, but it's at least as good and has more gears which would help slightly in MPG and towing.

Big_Blue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My ideal truck: ram 1500 big horn with the GM 10 speed and 3.0 duramax. It's faster than the 5.3 and gets incredible MPG (even more than the ED). One can dream.
I love the GMC 3.0L disel and is great for around town and long trips. But the power and sound of the hemi is amazing. Think I will just keep these for as long as possible and have the best of both worlds.

The Ram has a little bit more room in the back and also got the bench so we don't have to take 2 vehicles when we have 6 of us.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I love the GMC 3.0L disel and is great for around town and long trips. But the power and sound of the hemi is amazing. Think I will just keep these for as long as possible and have the best of both worlds.

The Ram has a little bit more room in the back and also got the bench so we don't have to take 2 vehicles when we have 6 of us.

I guess it depends on what you're looking for in a power train. I'm looking for fuel efficiency and towing power, not 0 to 60 power; sounds silly to say it that way but there is a pretty big difference to me anyway. I don't know off hand if the 5.7 hemi will beat the 3.0 DM in 0 to 60, probably closer than we think. But I'm willing to bet the 3.0 feels stronger while towing. It probably just continues to pull and pull without having to downshift or wind up.

My trailer is not overly taxing my hemi, for the most part I sit at 2300 RPMs on the freeway, but onramps and passing truckers, I hate that it has to almost redline so often. The sound is great, but part of me feels like I'm flogging it too hard at those times.

Unloaded though, yeah the hemi is certainly fun and makes passing people a joyful thing. Again sounds silly especially since I just said above that I feel bad working it hard while towing, but the difference in my mind is that when unloaded the hemi scoots like a scolded cat whereas loaded it just revs and revs and sits there; all show no go. I get it, I'm pulling something heavy so it's expected, but that difference is why I prefer the diesel if price and rest of the truck is all the same of course.

Whats your MPG unloaded with the diesel on 100% highway? Some guys are claiming they can get 30+ mpg which is awesome.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Sound, power and decent MPG......... I personally don't know of another engine that has "ALL 3" besides (I'm not going to say just the HEMI), I'm going to say the good Ole American V-8 of all 3 brands! Speaking for no one but myself of course!

Last edited:

Big_Blue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I guess it depends on what you're looking for in a power train. I'm looking for fuel efficiency and towing power, not 0 to 60 power; sounds silly to say it that way but there is a pretty big difference to me anyway. I don't know off hand if the 5.7 hemi will beat the 3.0 DM in 0 to 60, probably closer than we think. But I'm willing to bet the 3.0 feels stronger while towing. It probably just continues to pull and pull without having to downshift or wind up.

My trailer is not overly taxing my hemi, for the most part I sit at 2300 RPMs on the freeway, but onramps and passing truckers, I hate that it has to almost redline so often. The sound is great, but part of me feels like I'm flogging it too hard at those times.

Unloaded though, yeah the hemi is certainly fun and makes passing people a joyful thing. Again sounds silly especially since I just said above that I feel bad working it hard while towing, but the difference in my mind is that when unloaded the hemi scoots like a scolded cat whereas loaded it just revs and revs and sits there; all show no go. I get it, I'm pulling something heavy so it's expected, but that difference is why I prefer the diesel if price and rest of the truck is all the same of course.

Whats your MPG unloaded with the diesel on 100% highway? Some guys are claiming they can get 30+ mpg which is awesome.
With our diesel we were averaging 24 mpg mixed highway/town and averaged 28 mpg when we drove across country. We did see it get upto 32 mpg at one part. We are getting about 21 mpg due to winter diesel and longer idle periods.

We just picked up the Ram last week since we both fight over the other truck and got a good deal on trade and they have had the Ram a few months.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'd go GMC with the 6.2. I don't care that people say the interior is dated. Everything is just where it should be in them instead of coming up with new distracting and cumbersome control systems. I just find the GM cabs to be a pleasant place to be. Wish it had ford or Ram wheel wells though. Then it would be my perfect truck.

shagya

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5,7 L HEMI
I got one of them too, and my Honda MC..

View attachment 478577View attachment 478578
I ride my Indian Dark Horse and the chestnut stallion Jaffar, his forerunner was the white one Dinar. Passed the way to eternal grassland with 29.
I was breeding horses since 1992.

Instead of my RAM? No idea, - wasn't thinkin' about yet.

Though, not a Truck, but some "engine pony" what would fit to me, a Mustang 5.0 GT or Shelby.
I haven't givin' up yet to purchase one for faster trips I also like.:driver:

Attachments

• IMG_0741 (2).JPG
    IMG_0741 (2).JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Warrior 1 mail.jpg
    Warrior 1 mail.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Warrior 2 mail.jpg
    Warrior 2 mail.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Stallion Dinar.jpg
    Stallion Dinar.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 3

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I'd go GMC with the 6.2. I don't care that people say the interior is dated. Everything is just where it should be in them instead of coming up with new distracting and cumbersome control systems. I just find the GM cabs to be a pleasant place to be. Wish it had ford or Ram wheel wells though. Then it would be my perfect truck.

Newest Silverado (not the LTD) has stepped up the interior quite a bit. Not sure on the build quality or longevity of what GM thinks is leather on some trims, but it looks good and seems functional.

6.2 is a good motor. I don't know why they don't put a bigger gas tank in the Silverado, though, given the fuel economy of the 6.2 in a brick shaped truck. I don't mind paying for gas, I don't even mind paying for premium...but please give me a tank sized so that I don't have to start planning my next fuel stop while I'm on the on ramp from leaving the last fuel stop...

ZR2 is a sort of interesting option, but so close to Raptor money vs Rebel/Tremor money it dampens some of the appeal.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Newest Silverado (not the LTD) has stepped up the interior quite a bit. Not sure on the build quality or longevity of what GM thinks is leather on some trims, but it looks good and seems functional.

6.2 is a good motor. I don't know why they don't put a bigger gas tank in the Silverado, though, given the fuel economy of the 6.2 in a brick shaped truck. I don't mind paying for gas, I don't even mind paying for premium...but please give me a tank sized so that I don't have to start planning my next fuel stop while I'm on the on ramp from leaving the last fuel stop...

ZR2 is a sort of interesting option, but so close to Raptor money vs Rebel/Tremor money it dampens some of the appeal.
You have me scared with the stepped up the interior quality. Having visions of giant touch screens and "streamlined" control systems. Meaning less buttons and dials and more menus and touch screen controls. Stuff of nightmares for me. The reason my current Ram sat in the garage for the first 2 years I owned it. I've been driving it the last three because my other one was pretty miled out and cost too much to maintain to my satisfaction, but I still don't like the control systems or the layout.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
You have me scared with the stepped up the interior quality. Having visions of giant touch screens and "streamlined" control systems. Meaning less buttons and dials and more menus and touch screen controls. Stuff of nightmares for me. The reason my current Ram sat in the garage for the first 2 years I owned it. I've been driving it the last three because my other one was pretty miled out and cost too much to maintain to my satisfaction, but I still don't like the control systems or the layout.

Brochure for the latest Silverado: https://indd.adobe.com/view/0585569d-1000-4439-a4db-53fa571a3d39
It has screens, but I think there's a button that does all the normal functions as well. That's how my Charger was, you could use either option as you liked. I tended to use the buttons for most stuff.

That said, if you want old truck tech, buy an old truck. I've been sorely tempted by rustfreeclassics.com a few times. I don't know how tough it would be to import one for you but they specialize in trucks from mostly southwestern states that aren't all salt eaten.