Yowza!! $1700 brakes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not excessively. I only put about 5000 miles per year on it but drive it every couple of days a few miles at a time. I bought the truck with 8000 miles on it and I started noticing the shimmy at about 12,000 miles but didn't get around to checking it until about 18,000. But I put 7000 miles on it the first year but it may have sat for a few months before I bought it
yes your truck sits alot. a few miles every couple days isnt enough! 7000 in a year? that's IT? that's about 2-1/2-3 months worth for me.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
yes your truck sits alot. a few miles every couple days isnt enough! 7000 in a year? that's IT? that's about 2-1/2-3 months worth for me.
oddly me and my son both bought identical trucks a few months apart. Mine had 8000 miles on it when I bought it in May 2019 now has 26,000. My son bought his with 6000 miles in July 2019 and traded it in about 5 or 6 months ago with 95,000 on it....lol. 9000 of that was towing his 8000lb TT around the country. Both were 6.4's

Bigjack01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just had my 120,000 mile service on my 2014 1500 at my local dealership (I was there for a free oil change) and they told me the pads needed replacing and the rotors were too thin to turn. They quoted $1500 for pads and rotors. I’ll do it myself for about $400 in parts.

Hemimania

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2019 1500 Tradesman with 37,000 miles just dropped the passenger front brake pad. Took it to AutoNation Arapahoe in the Denver area about a mile away. The caliper failed. So 2 front calipers, 2 rotors and the pads are quoted at $1700. Am I out of touch or is this really what they charge these days?
Did u get another quote somewhere else or did u need it ASAP? Try a place like MrTire. The brakes are guaranteed 4 life. I've been to mine and they are usually pretty good with prices.

MBAGGER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Get everything you need online and do it yourself for a fraction. I only paid 260 for pads and rotors from Powerstop brand (on Amazon) and I am sure the calipers wouldn't be too bad. Would probably take a couple of hours to do the work.
what he said but chock the wheels. I bought an 18' from Carvana and they gave me bad brakes and refused to fix them so i did it myself. I was in a hurry and failed to chock the the wheels and soiled myself when it fell off the jack.

demonram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2019 1500 Tradesman with 37,000 miles just dropped the passenger front brake pad. Took it to AutoNation Arapahoe in the Denver area about a mile away. The caliper failed. So 2 front calipers, 2 rotors and the pads are quoted at $1700. Am I out of touch or is this really what they charge these days?
Since I'm not familiar with that area of the country as far as mechanic rates per hour, my guess would be that they are gouging. Probably using supply issues as reason for the cost. As someone else posted, order from Amazon, eBay, RockAuto, cost is a fraction of what you were quoted. I just recently, ( 2 weeks ago) order new pads all around, plus slide pins and rubber bushings from Rock Auto and it was around $150.00. I put Power Stop drilled and slotted rotors all around back around 2015-16, so I ordered Power Stop pads to replace with.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
I've had good luck with the Z36 package on my Jeep Commander Limited and on my Son's Jeep Cherokee Limited. Even if you have to pay for labor you'll be ahead. I always replace the slide pins as well.

demonram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Damn, you must all ride your brakes
i drove my 2009 Ram until it had 100,000 miles on it
then it was time to replace the shocks & although it did not really need it, i replaced the brake pads & had the rotors turned
Yes, take your left foot off the brake pedal and put it flat on the floorboard, and when you need to brake, take your right foot off the throttle and place it on the brake pedal and apply the necessary pressure needed to slow or stop. It is very unsafe to ride around with one foot on the brake pedal, causing your brake lights TO STAY ON CONSTANTLY! Wearing out the pads more quickly, plus the person behind you doesn't actually know if you are stopping or slowing down.

demonram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine was cause the rotors were all pitted at 12,000 miles. Ram said they were only under warranty for the first 12,000 so I just missed the cutoff. Had a bad pulsing like a warped rotor
You should have contacted RamCares. They most likely would have okayed the work.

andymax

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, take your left foot off the brake pedal and put it flat on the floorboard, and when you need to brake, take your right foot off the throttle and place it on the brake pedal and apply the necessary pressure needed to slow or stop. It is very unsafe to ride around with one foot on the brake pedal, causing your brake lights TO STAY ON CONSTANTLY! Wearing out the pads more quickly, plus the person behind you doesn't actually know if you are stopping or slowing down.
You're forgetting the actual danger...IF you are actually lightly applying the brakes while driving you run the risk of overheating/boiling which is the cause of "brake fade" aka loss of pressure. No brakes when you need them most.

I don't have a problem with two foot driving, so long as you arent applying the brakes.

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Just had my rear differential bearings replaced and during this time the rear brake pads were replaced. 07' Quad Cab 1500 has 96K miles on it.

Ern88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just had my rear brakes done. Needed rotors, pads and emergency brakes done as well. Truck has 51000km. It was $1000 job. I live in Nova Scotia. So road salt is a one of the main culprits for sure. It sucks. Front brakes were good though. Thank good.

shaine robbins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Rockauto.com plus elbow grease is gonna save you over a grand. But yeah, a lot of mechanics are $125-150 per hour.

Robert Mc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I'm just shy of 100K miles on my 2018 Ram 2500 and I'm still on the original set of brakes. 90% of those miles are towing my 25" enclosed car hauler so those miles are with a 9-10K lb load. You've got to love the exhaust brake on that truck.

That being said, $1,700 seems a bit high, even with a new set of calipers. They're not THAT much. I just had the rear brakes replaced on my Porsche and with 2 rotors, 2 sets of pads, and 2 sets of electronic rear sensors to tell you when the brakes are down to a few mm of thickness the cost was only $953. I would have done them myself but the car has an electric E-brake and I don't have the scan tool needed to disengage the E-brake for servicing. It's a $400 tool and I probably won't need rear brakes again before I sell it. If I decide to keep it longer I may buy the tool if it works on the Porsche I replace it with.

KerryinTN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
For the best videos on how to do brakes properly, especially if you live in northern climates where roads are salted (so brakes are rusted), check out the youtube channels for A1Auto, SouthMainAuto, and WatchWesWork. Good stuff.

tonynap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last year, I bought the Power Stop Truck and Tow brake kit with calipers and installed it myself. The same one is on the rain forest site for $1200. I did have to spend $500 on my insurance deductible after I did a poor job bleeding them and crashed into my camper in my own driveway. Takes it right to $1700. All 4 wheels tho...