“Smart” Fob Tip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deercamp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m in the process of attempting to locate a “smart” fob for my 2024 Ram Bigfoot Quadcab. (About every 12 years i lose a car key so I was due.) It is either misplaced or perhaps lost while I was cutting up downed trees in my yard. Have done exhaustive searches with no luck. Contacted Ram dealer today and given a price of new “smart” fob and labor to program it to my Ram - $415.
Then contacted a locksmith. I can get a refurbished Mopar smart fob for $100 or a new one for $200. Programing the fob costs $135. So Ram dealer $415, locksmith $235 (refurbished) or $335 (new). Thus I decided to continue exhaustive search before ordering a replacement fob. If after a week or so the smart fob does not surface, I will contact the locksmith and get a replacement. So my tip to all of you is to treat and secure your “smart” fob like you would protect $300 or $400 cash, it’s not just a car key.

Note- mentioned this to my hunting partner. He said that many years ago, Chevrolet had only 8 different patterns or cuts for the ignition keys for their cars. So if you had all 8, you could operate all Chevys of that particular vintage. Also my high school buddy had a ‘52 or ‘53 Chevy. The ignition switch had a position where you did not need the key to start it. However you could lock the ignition switch with a key so that a key was required to start it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500