'01 1500 gasser no fuel pump or level gauge unless obd2 scanner is plugged in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Christof13T

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Newish to messing with dodges and this has me scratching my head.

No power to fuel pump and no signal to fuel level gauge unless obd2 adapter is plugged in. Have replaced fuel pump, checked relays, fuses, no idea where to start looking in the harness. Is it posessed?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Newish to messing with dodges and this has me scratching my head.

No power to fuel pump and no signal to fuel level gauge unless obd2 adapter is plugged in. Have replaced fuel pump, checked relays, fuses, no idea where to start looking in the harness. Is it posessed?

Well, if connecting a scan tool at the J1962 OBD-II connector on the instrument panel makes the fuel pump and the fuel level gauge work, then something in the connector is either completing a B+ battery circuit or completing a ground circuit.

The first thing I would do is take a look at the connector pinout in Section 8W Wiring in the Factory Service Manual. There are several available to download in the 2nd Gen DIY or Tech Forum I believe. The connector pinout will show you what each circuit is connected to and you can see which one is in the same circuit for the fuel pump and the fuel gauge. Then you can test those circuits for proper voltage or ground to identify which one is the issue.