'03 1500 won't start, light flashing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RobSoFlo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check engine light has been on for years from Evap issue, probably gas cap. But today after running around town, came out to leave a store and the truck almost gets going but flutters like when an engine is running out of gas and won't start. Tried 3 more times, same thing.
Was brought some gas cause it was on E, but still not starting and the fluttering was gone, and won't start. Sounds like full battery power though, trying to turn over.

I notice the engine light blinking a few times, goes back to steady, and the Trans Temp light comes on a second and then off.

Does it sound like electrical? Will the truck not start if something happened to the transmission?
-It shouldn't be out of gas. Didn't notice anything leading up to the problem.

Any ideas or experience with this?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Have you listened to the fuel pump in the tank to see if you can hear it running? Have and assistant turn the key to the run position while you listen close to the fuel tank to see if you can hear the normal pump whine. Have your assistant cycle the key several times to see if you can hear anything at all.

OP
OP
RobSoFlo

RobSoFlo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Only codes that come back on my reader are Evap codes as usual. Check Engine Light flashes 10 times. Don't know if that's been ongoing for a long time, as I never turn the ignition on and sit and look, just crank it up. So I don't know if it's related to the problem. Research on that says possible Catalytic Converter problem happening? Would that make it not start up? I will do your suggestions though and see what happens, thanks.

OP
OP
RobSoFlo

RobSoFlo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I heard a slight hum in the gas tank when I put my ear to it....faint but I heard a hum.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Does it crank and not start?