03 2500 runs like a **** - whats going on here with my data log?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SavedByGrace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Laramie
ok so i went to aamco transmission and the guy took a drive with me round the block and he wa slike oh yeah sth is DEF not right. No codes, no CEL - i have since done injectors, cat, muffler, new rings and bearings and timing gear 6k miles back. Fuel psi is good, ive clean the TB 4 times, ran new ground straps, serviced injectors, new coils - still, drives like a ****. itll get up and go when i floor it but severely lacking that howling power hemis are known for

My idle vac seems low, this motor does not have EGR i believe. is 4.5 psi ok (ie no cracked/leaking intake)?

See how the tps signal is jumping even tho im not touching the pedal? guy said this could throw trans solenoids all over the place..
he said the shops smaller engine ram had way more power. once again, no CEL, no codes, nothing. Just a ****- Im trying to narrow down the possibilities. Im considering wiring straight from the APPS into the ecu to see if that cures the issue.

Capture.JPG

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If the engine RPM is not varying at idle, then the signal looks like possible noise. This can be caused by poor ground somewhere, intermittent loss of voltage at the throttle pedal potentiometer, or a bad throttle pedal potentiometer.

If you have a wiring diagram, the two potentiometer circuits in the throttle pedal should be checked.

But...that really doesn't explain why timing is bouncing around like that, especially with MAP being extremely stable.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 99202 miles.

OP
OP
SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Laramie
well i found a guy on yt who was working on a ram with the exact same issue, he found corrosion on the C2 plug so im planning to back probe each wire and check the voltage. I also have a drain with key off so im thinking there is possibly some corrosion somewhere..

Here is the video:

Here he covers the problem & fix:

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
All that work but no valve job? Maybe you just didn't mention it? Leaky valves would easily cause low idle vacuum and low power...

OP
OP
SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Laramie
If the valves were bad it would have no power and blowby and idle terribly. It has zero blowby and idles butter smooth.. valves were tan I didn't want to spend the dough..

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
well i found a guy on yt who was working on a ram with the exact same issue, he found corrosion on the C2 plug so im planning to back probe each wire and check the voltage. I also have a drain with key off so im thinking there is possibly some corrosion somewhere..

Here is the video:

Here he covers the problem & fix:

My apologies, when I sent my earlier response I was in a bit of a hurry.

Because you had a scan sample I assumed you must have gone through a more complete diagnostics. Usually for these types of performance problems a tech. usually looks at misfire codes, long and short trims, fuel pressure, inlet air temp, camshaft/crankshaft sync, etc.

Although you might be on the right track, did you perform a complete scan?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 99219 miles.

OP
OP
SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Laramie
Here is another screenshot showing the timing and rpm and tps..

1696288741756.png

OP
OP
SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Laramie
Im going to attempt to pin the APPS straight to the ecu - can anyone confirm this is the correct wiring from the under battery APPS to the ecu?

1696386516110.png

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat