04 1500 intake swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jay cee nyc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi everyone I’m a new member. I got a 04 ram 1500 5.7L. I’ll like to swap the intake manifold On my truck, but my engine have ignition wires and coils. So I don’t know if I can swap to a 6.4L intake manifold. Any Help and advice will be highly appreciated.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Sounds like you might want to consider upgrading coils and eliminating the waste spark wires first. The more you work on it the more your learn about your truck.. my recommendation is go step by step and enjoy the ride..

OP
OP
Jay cee nyc

Jay cee nyc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is that possible put coils and get Rid off the wire? Also do I need a tune it if I put coils only? Thank you for the advice.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
You can upgrade your coils by using a kit in the $500 range or do a salvage yard swap for $150 range. You will need 06 or newer coils, valve covers and electrical plug ends. The electrical plugs are two wire and easily replaced. No special tuning required. The EGR can be blocked off and would require tuning to turn off the error code if blocked. I did this mod proably more than 10 years ago. Stripping debris from the engine top makes future mods easier. The 04 truck intake manifold IMO is one of the better manifolds. I changed mine to a OCP manifold because it could handle the higher boost I'm using. I recommend developing a goal for your truck and then list what needs to be done. Every part should then support reaching your goal. If a part doesn't, then don't use it. Stick with the tried and proven. Depending how you drive if you are making good horsepower you will need to swap your transmission for something stronger. Good luck..

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You didn't specify car 6.4 or truck 6.4, but:
1. Either would be worthless if you're running stock pre-eagle heads
2. You would have to modify your accessory drive for TB neck clearance on both
3. The car version swings over to where your battery is....
4. Plus you'd have to wire up an RPM switch to power the runners (both active intakes)

To go with the coil swap Greg mentioned, you don't need a tune and if you don't want to futz with soldering you can get adapters: http://www.modernmusclextreme.com/p...-pack-conversion-adapter-plug-kit-by-mmx.aspx
I did this on a 2005 Magnum with cheaply sourced valve covers and coils for a little bit less than the $150 he mentioned (gotta love ebay)

IMAG2912.jpg

OP
OP
Jay cee nyc

Jay cee nyc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So you are saying I can only do coils and it will give me more HP? Of course I’ll need to change the valve covers too.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
A selection of well chosen modifications that compliment one another will provide you the basis to make more hp.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you do the junk yard thing, you can also simply grab the spark plug coil sub harness rather than an adapter kit or soldering wiring.

I just did the coils only swap to my 03 as I hated the damn look of those wires even though they’re mostly hidden by the air box. All said and done, into it for like $200. The harness you’d need has two plugs kind of hidden back next to the driver side of the throttle body on an 06 truck.

OP
OP
Jay cee nyc

Jay cee nyc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok thanks I’ll look for one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk