06 ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kelseyf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Hey guys, I need advice. I got an 06 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 L V8. Let me start off by saying I’ve replaced the egr valve 3 times since I got the truck back when, last time was some time ago. Alternator is also new and so is the battery. The issue I’m having with my truck is that while driving it will randomly turn off, steering wheel locks up, and all my dash lights come on. Sometimes I can start it back up, other times I can’t. I know I have an exhaust leak somewhere because I can hear it when I drive but it’s been like that for awhile. Sometimes I can start it and drive it the mile to my parents house and it’ll die and I have to wait a few days before it will start again. When it does die and I can’t get it to start again it won’t even turn over, the dash lights just come on and it dings at me. Had it in a shop and they told me could be a dead battery cell, then came back and said no I think it’s the torque converter and I honestly don’t have the money to just throw into it since I just had a baby. Has anyone had this problem before or maybe have an idea what it could be?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hey guys, I need advice. I got an 06 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 L V8. Let me start off by saying I’ve replaced the egr valve 3 times since I got the truck back when, last time was some time ago. Alternator is also new and so is the battery. The issue I’m having with my truck is that while driving it will randomly turn off, steering wheel locks up, and all my dash lights come on. Sometimes I can start it back up, other times I can’t. I know I have an exhaust leak somewhere because I can hear it when I drive but it’s been like that for awhile. Sometimes I can start it and drive it the mile to my parents house and it’ll die and I have to wait a few days before it will start again. When it does die and I can’t get it to start again it won’t even turn over, the dash lights just come on and it dings at me. Had it in a shop and they told me could be a dead battery cell, then came back and said no I think it’s the torque converter and I honestly don’t have the money to just throw into it since I just had a baby. Has anyone had this problem before or maybe have an idea what it could be?
I question the ability of the shop that you had the truck at because of the randomness of their crazy diagnostic skills saying it could be a dead cell in the battery to a torque converter. This makes no sense to me.

There are a couple of things that you can do that wont cost any money to aid in diagnosing your truck. First, was/is the check engine light on? Has it been on recently or has it been on constantly? Has the truck been running bad for some time?

Now, inspect the battery cables and battery terminals. See if there is a large amount of corrosion at the battery terminals. Are the battery terminals intact and properly secured to the battery post? Are the battery ground cables in good condition where they bolt to the engine block? Are the ground cables clean and tight at the block?

Have you had the battery tested with an acutal battery tester and not just a DVOM? Hit up the local auto parts and ask them to test the battery and the alternator. This way you will know if the battery and charging system are okay.

Also, when the truck dies while driving, do you see any warning lamps in the instument cluster lke the "check gauges" lamp or the red security lamp in the lower right corner of the instrument cluster?

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The steering wheel locking up, that seems strange. I wonder if your ignition switch is not working properly. That should only lock when the key is removed, specifically so that in case of loss of electric you can steer the truck safely. Short of replacing that, not sure you can really diagnose a problem with it and replacement would be the fix regardless. But it could explain electrical problems and also be why it arbitrarily works at another time. I don't like to just throw money at problems but in this case I probably would try replacement. Good luck.

Tomanydodges

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just from my experience...your egr problem is probably going to be it isn't a Mopar egr. These trucks are super picky...if any aftermarket egr is used it won't last long... I had the same deal 4 egrs later I broke and bought mopar no problem since and that's almost 2 years.