115v plug in truck bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Txguy51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just upgraded from a ‘20 Tradesman DRW to a ‘23 Laramie DRW. The Tradesman had a 7 way plug in truck bed for a 5er but the Laramie has a 115v plug in the same place.
Is it difficult to replace the 115v plug with a 7way?
I really dont want to run the 5er power cord over the tailgate to the bumper plug. IMG_1324.jpegIMG_1325.jpeg

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If you're going to get the kit that 18Crew suggested, be sure you know which wires come from your inverter and stay away from those. Although, now that I'm here, I gotta ask...why did you order the inverter/115v/3.5A outlet for to begin with? You know, inquiring minds, and all that.

OP
OP
T

Txguy51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It came prepped like that and I didn’t pay close attention to it until after the fact since my previous truck had it. Just seems stupid to have a 115v plug and nothing else.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It came prepped like that and I didn’t pay close attention to it until after the fact since my previous truck had it. Just seems stupid to have a 115v plug and nothing else.
I guess it would be handy for a contractor's truck for running power tools. But they would have to be small with only a 3+ amp rating on the outlet.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
There's an entire thread with pages of ideas what people use the inverter outlets for ..... I just can't find it. :(
Sometimes I do roadcalls and I use it to charge my Milwaukee batt packs on my way to the job. My wife uses it in the cab for a HO USB charger. It has it's uses.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
400W is about 3-ish amps. Not much at all - BUT

In the cab for high-speed phone charging...ok, those are 1A-ish.
My DeWALT battery charger is 2A

A microwave or toaster - not so much.

You can find uses.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Since you didn't get 5th wheel prep you would buy the kit below and using a holesaw make a hole and mount the receptacle then plug in the T harness. It plugs inline with the bumper plug harness.

https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku/82212195ab-fs.html

Correct. My Bighorn came 5th wheel prepped AND has the 115V outlet. Will be handy when I'm working on my property up north, getting it ready for power. Don't have to bring a generator just to charge batteries.

Ratman6161

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yeah, total waste of resources to put those tiny inverters in. I have a tiny little vacuum for cleaning dust and dog hair and it won’t even run that.
I use mine for this. I keep it, along with an extension cord under the back seat. More than adequate for topping off the tires on the truck and the travel trailer. I also have an electric Coleman cooler that runs fine from this outlet.