12V Power distribution block connection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbighouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'd like to add a 12V power distribution block to feed some upcoming accessories. I was originally thinking about wiring it straight to the positive battery terminal, but looking at that, I see 2 separate connections there. They're each capped with a black rubber plug (see photo). Can anyone explain what these are for, and if I could tap into one of those instead?

Is one of them constant power and one switched (ignition) power?

IMG_6722.JPG

Joe_Clark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't know what they are used for specifically, but I tied my winch right into one of them just fine.

I would say go for it, just make sure you have an in line fuse going to the block.

sent from a device using an app

OP
OP
umbighouse

umbighouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
@Joe_Clark
The power distribution block I'm looking at is a 6-way one.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KBFWKS2

It's rated at Input / Output Current: 100A / 30A max. per circuit. I'm planning to use 6 gauge wire from the battery to the PDU. What size inline fuse should I use?

...and which one did you tap into, the one on the left or right (in my photo)?

Joe_Clark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As far as which one, I don't think it really matters. Just which ever will give you the cleaner install.

The inline fuse I don't think will be an issue since it is a fuse block that you are installing. My son hard lined an accessory block that had 2 usb ports and 2 cigarette lighter like plugs. That we put a 30amp fuse in just to make sure.

Looks pretty good though. Good luck!

sent from a device using an app

OP
OP
umbighouse

umbighouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Actually, since the power distribution block has fuses itself for each connection, I wouldn't need a main inline fuse at all, right?

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Correct.
Doesn't matter which side you tap since both are connected to the positive terminal.

VelocityC6Z

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You don't need a main fuse for that block.

Both of those posts with the rubber tops on are directly attached to the battery with no circuitry between them. They will both provide a constant 11.8-14.8 volt to whatever you're trying to power.

OP
OP
umbighouse

umbighouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Exactly what I wanted to hear- thanks!