12V power - where?!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I can't find a 12V power outlet (a/k/a "cigarette lighter") anywhere. Is this really possible? I bought a 12V cooler naturally assuming we could use it, but when I went to make sure it was functional, I can't find where to plug it in!

Obviously, I can get a converter if I need to, but it seems abominable to go from 12vDC to 110vAC and then back to 12vDC...

What am I missing?

Per my sig, I have a 2020 RAM Laramie 1500 with Level 1 equipment.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not on top of dashboard in lil area above radio? There should be one there, and it is wired for key power only. Runs off of F54 fuse, interior fuse box which is under dash below steering well. That fuse can be positioned for either battery all time or key on. The standard setting is keyed on but I have heard of PPL getting it with battery on cap/setting.

yyy.JPG

Last edited:

Fediej

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Should also be one inside your center console/armrest...
I can't find a 12V power outlet (a/k/a "cigarette lighter") anywhere. Is this really possible? I bought a 12V cooler naturally assuming we could use it, but when I went to make sure it was functional, I can't find where to plug it in!

Obviously, I can get a converter if I need to, but it seems abominable to go from 12vDC to 110vAC and then back to 12vDC...

What am I missing?

Per my sig, I have a 2020 RAM Laramie 1500 with Level 1 equipment.
Should also be one inside your center console/armrest...

OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I did finally locate the one on top of the dash, and while it's a cool location to have one, it's not very convenient for running stuff in the back seat. I assumed there would be one either in or on the back of the center console but I can't find one there.

There's a USB port inside the back of the upper center console storage bin, and the 115v AC outlets on the back of the center console as well as the lower front section of the center console.

Thanks for the tip about setting the 12v outlet to power on battery, as that was my next concern/test.

OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Not on top of dashboard in lil area above radio? There should be one there, and it is wired for key power only. Runs off of F54 fuse, interior fuse box which is under dash below steering well. That fuse can be positioned for either battery all time or key on. The standard setting is keyed on but I have heard of PPL getting it with battery on cap/setting.
The under dash fusebox is just about impossible to get to. I thought I could just take out two screws at the bottom of the underdash cover to expose it, but it's more complicated than that.

So then I did what I should have done first and just plugged into the outlet with the truck off and see if I had power. And I do!

Conclusion - not the greatest but better than it could have been.

In my searching I found another option that I didn't know existed - a 7-blade trailer connector to cigar lighter outlet converter. I can put our cooler in the bed of the truck and run it from there.

1652535829160.png