Converting 12v power in console bucket to data transfer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

schmellba99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I have a new to me 2018 2500. Love the truck, glad to be back into a 3/4 ton diesel after a decent amount of time in a half ton gas truck.

Question is this - in the console bucket (not sure what it's actually called, the storage space where you keep your phone, etc. - mine has a sliding cover), there is a 12v power outlet. Old school cigarrette lighter round style. One would think that would be a great place to put a data transfer port because that is where your phone rests, but this is just a plane jane 12v port that can only charge the phone, but won't connect the phone to the u-connect.

Has anybody changed this port over into a data transfer port like the ones inside the flip up console? Right now I have my usb cord plugged into the flip up console and sticking out to plug into the phone. It works, and isn't horrible, but isn't ideal either. I'd love to be able to plug my phone in right next to the place that is designed to hold the phone and have it connect to the truck the way it should.

The power port is the one circled in the pic.

Attachments

• Ram 2500 Console .001.jpg
    Ram 2500 Console .001.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 9

Gwerner74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It can be done, USB data ports designed to replace the cigarette lighter port are easily found on Amazon. Routing the cable up to your media hub in the armrest could be a little tricky though.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Since your truck is at least an '18 you most likely would want to relocate the USB Media port from the arm rest to use either AndroidAuto or CarPlay.
Another option is use a wireless module to connect to the phone.
I use the AAWireless for my Android but it supports iPhones also. https://www.aawireless.io/
It's nice not having to plug the phone in, it just connects usually within 30 seconds.

OP
OP
S

schmellba99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Since your truck is at least an '18 you most likely would want to relocate the USB Media port from the arm rest to use either AndroidAuto or CarPlay.
Another option is use a wireless module to connect to the phone.
I use the AAWireless for my Android but it supports iPhones also. https://www.aawireless.io/
It's nice not having to plug the phone in, it just connects usually within 30 seconds.
That is a good option, not sure why i didnt think of it. Easier than trying to mess with rewiring things.