'16 PW with 1.5" Thuren and 37x13.50 tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here are some pics of the tires I just mounted. This is a 2016 PW with 1.5" Thuren front springs and a 1" spring spacer in the rear. Tires are 37x13.50R17 Ridge Grapplers on 17x9 ProComps with basically zero offset.
This setup would rub pretty hard on the back of the fenderliner when turning when just sitting still. Did the trimming as it's shown in several YouTube videos. This includes the lip at the bottom of the factory flare, the "hump" in the plastic liner, and then folding the pinch weld over.
IMG_9914.JPGIMG_9916.JPG

BlackGold6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Very nice, I like that you lifted as little as possible to fit those meats.. I put 35's on my 2014 Ram 2500 and had to do the same trimming as you with no lift. Do you still have 4.10's and how do you like the drive with the bigger tires and stock gears if that's what you still have?

OP
OP

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had 35" Falken MT's on stock rims previously. Did about a 2 hour round trip yesterday which included towns, 2 lane county roads, and the freeway at 75 mph. Didn't notice any obvious difference in power or handling.
These tires seem huge compared to the previous 35's

OP
OP

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thought I would add a little update regarding the tires for people searching this type and size in the future.

- As mentioned above I had to do quite a bit of trimming to just get the tires to fit while turning while sitting in the shop. Have not had the chance to flex it out any and see if they will fit or how much they will rub. To be honest, slightly second guessing myself that I should have gotten a 12.50 vs. 13.50 tire. I knew the offset of these wheels would cause more issues with clearance with turning but liked the style and this is the only offset they came with. Really couldn't find any other polished wheels with the recommend offset that weren't at least twice as much $.
- The Ridge Grapplers in general. They do look good and aggressive, especially since they are the 13.50 wide versions. They balanced out really well for the size as one tire only took 1 ounce of weight with the worst taking 5 ounces, and the other two in between. To be honest a little disappointed as my intent was to get a "less aggressive", or quieter with better highway manner, style of tire versus a true mud-terrain. As much as I hate to admit it the PW mainly gets used as a truck and most of the miles are on the freeway hauling my other off-road toys. They really aren't that quiet, maybe just slightly quieter than the Falken MT's on it previously and have some tread rumble around 25-30 mph. Again, somewhat second guessing myself that I should of either just gotten a set of mud-terrains or an actual all-terrain. I've had a couple sets of BFG AT's on my previous truck and they were great in regards to being quiet and lasting a long time....of course my last truck really didn't have the off-road potential of the PW and I didn't play with it nearly as much.
- It's not that hilly around me and don't notice any significant change in performance on the road. It possibly will down shift from 6 to 5 a little bit sooner on grades on the freeway going 75 mph. Have not towed with it yet or taken it down to the bigger grades like in Tennessee or anything yet......obviously the $4+ per gallon fuel is limiting my driving in the PW some, especially when I have a car that gets 35 MPG.

DrTron

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
To be honest a little disappointed as my intent was to get a "less aggressive", or quieter with better highway manner, style of tire versus a true mud-terrain. As much as I hate to admit it the PW mainly gets used as a truck and most of the miles are on the freeway hauling my other off-road toys. They really aren't that quiet, maybe just slightly quieter than the Falken MT's on it previously and have some tread rumble around 25-30 mph. Again, somewhat second guessing myself that I should of either just gotten a set of mud-terrains or an actual all-terrain.
Not that surprising, really. To be any good off-road, an AT tire needs to have a "blocky" thread design, and those individual blocks vibrate and cause noise. So that's probably true for any AT-tire out there. I, too, admit that I'll be using my yet-to-be-build PW on-road, so I'll go with some 34" highway tires. Those usually have circumferential grooves and the positive part of the thread blocks are linked, preventing said vibration, but obviously sacrificing off-road performance. It's one way or the other.

OP
OP

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not that surprising, really. To be any good off-road, an AT tire needs to have a "blocky" thread design, and those individual blocks vibrate and cause noise. So that's probably true for any AT-tire out there. I, too, admit that I'll be using my yet-to-be-build PW on-road, so I'll go with some 34" highway tires. Those usually have circumferential grooves and the positive part of the thread blocks are linked, preventing said vibration, but obviously sacrificing off-road performance. It's one way or the other.
Yes, I agree with you. As a little background I've ran multiple different styles and sizes of mud tires on various trucks over the years. This includes several sets of bias ply Super Swampers from 38's to 42's (WAY more aggressive than the average radial mud tire). I've only ever experienced that low speed "rumble" with one other set of cheapo mud radials years ago. Never noticed it on several sets of BFG muds, Trxus MT's, Goodyear MT/R's, etc.... To clarify, I don't think the Ridge Grapplers are bad or too loud by any means, just a little disappointed that I compromised for a more all-terrain type tire but still get obvious tread noise from them. The BFG AT's I've ran were basically silent on the road.

In regards to pressure, they were intially inflated to 60 psi front and 65 psi rear from the shop (door jam recommend pressure). Of course they road pretty bad and very jarring. Deflated them to 45 front and 40 rear and the truck rides way better. Still need to do the chalk test and more fine-tuning. I expect to be able to run even lower, especially in the rear.