16 Ram parksence when cold, locked out of my truck keyfob not detected

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xcaliber

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Longhorn
Engine
I have a 2016 ram and everytime it gets cold out it fails to operate normally. I made an appointment for tomorrow but I am worried I will get the cant duplicate and will have to pay the fee. Today I took pics of the park sensors triggering the front when no one was in front and in reverse when nothing was present in the camera. This has been an ongoing issue for a few years and it gets much worse below -15 they refuse to operate at all.

Also went to the grocery store on sunday both fobs failed to work used the key unlocked the door had to push the fob into the button to start it and still got the keyfob not detected until I removed the battery and put it back in it started to recognise the fob. this has happened many times before.

Any thoughts on these issues?

RamInfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Are you still on the OEM battery?

best,
DG

OP
OP
xcaliber

xcaliber

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Longhorn
Engine
I'm actually going to try another dealer just 1 hr away I'm 99% surebtheyll accommodate my issues to get my next sale lol.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Bumper sensors, some thoughts
Have they ever been hand cleaned ?
Have you unplugged them & sprayed them with electrical contact cleaner ?

Have you opened your FOBs & cleaned the Green printed circuit board ?

Also look at the inside of the part of the fob buttons, panic, unlock, lock, start are printed on one side, turn it over & look carefully at the little contacts, sometimes they come loose.

when it opens .. How to Troubleshoot the Keyless Entry on a Dodge Ram 1500

OP
OP
xcaliber

xcaliber

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Longhorn
Engine
Bumper sensors, some thoughts
Have they ever been hand cleaned ?
Have you unplugged them & sprayed them with electrical contact cleaner ?

Have you opened your FOBs & cleaned the Green printed circuit board ?

Also look at the inside of the part of the fob buttons, panic, unlock, lock, start are printed on one side, turn it over & look carefully at the little contacts, sometimes they come loose.

when it opens .. How to Troubleshoot the Keyless Entry on a Dodge Ram 1500
Does this troubleshooting work with a push button start ram? It says to insert the key into the ignition.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
There is a a list of tricks to do with the Rams

They are called Elephants or Easter Eggs

If something does not work, the Engineers put some work arounds that reset the function, so that it works as designed

1. Secret diagnostic and gadget menu options​

This trick we first found hiding on a 2010 Dodge Challenger. Holding down the selection buttons on the car's steering wheel for a few seconds will unlock some neat features that would have been either too advanced or superfluous for casual owners. Oil pressure and temperature can be gauged with this trick, although muscle car fanatics may be most enthused by the included "0 to 60" engine timer.

2. Quick turn signals​

If you give a light tap on your turn signal switch, it will offer a brief, three-flash sign to others that you're shifting lanes. This is helpful for those effortless highway lane changes, where turn signaling is more of a formality than a legitimate help. With that said, three quick flashes isn't really enough to be helpful for practically anything else.

3. Controlling power windows remotely​

Although this is a surprisingly common Easter egg for modern cars with remote fobs, it has been tested and verified on several Dodge models. Pressing the unlock button once, then pressing it again and holding it down for a few seconds will cause the car's power windows to roll down automatically. This little-known trick is a perfect thing if you're grossed out about your car being musty when you first get into it.

7. Deactivating the seat belt alarm chime​

Most modern cars come with an alarm bleeper that occurs whenever the driver seat's seatbelt isn't buckled. To turn off this pesky noise, buckle in the seatbelt and turn on the car's ignition. From there, wait until the seatbelt icon has disappeared from the dashboard display. Then unbuckle and rebuckle the seatbelt three times fast. Leave it in on the third time and turn the key ignition off; you should hear a chime to indicate the feature has been disabled. It goes without saying that this Easter egg shouldn't be taken as a viable replacement for using the seatbelt. Safety's ultimately a lot more important than the discomfort of a seatbelt wrapped around you, but knowing a trick like this exists is still fascinating in its own right.
There is another one, it fixes the single button press to raise the windows, when they malfunction
I saw it recently & i wish i could find it
It has to do with the Ignition not recognizing the Enter and Go FOB

The trick is something like,
that you get in the vehicle set the Ignition to ACC or ON
Then you do something like press the overhead map light button 4 times & i forget the rest :(

You can manually reboot the Nav system by pushing in on the center of the volume and tuner knobs at the same time and holding them down for a few seconds. You should see the system power down and then boot back up

There should be a Thread just about Tips & Tricks, like these Easter Eggs

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Excaliber
These sites sometimes say things like insert Fob in the ignition & most times they mean both ways of doing it, both Passive Entry & Enter & Go

OP
OP
xcaliber

xcaliber

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Longhorn
Engine
@GTyankee thank you I will try this. Also good info here that stupid seat belt chime goes off with my work back pack on the passenger seat lol.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I am not sure at all about this trick, it may have worked with the early 4th Gens

How to Reprogram a Dodge Key Fob
  1. Sit in your car with your remote and your key FOB.
  2. Insert your key into the Dodge ignition and turn the key to the "Run" position.
  3. Press and hold the "Unlock" button on your remote for four seconds and press the "Panic" button while still holding the other button.
  4. Release the buttons at the same time to open the programming mode.
    Press and release both "Lock" and "Unlock" and then press and hold "Unlock" until the car responds with a lock cycle. Your remote will then be programmed and you can test it after you remove the key from the ignition.

Last edited:
OP
OP
xcaliber

xcaliber

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Longhorn
Engine
It happened again. Keyfob not detected and even wrong key. I had to set the alarm off and unlock with the fob then it started. It happens in the same place as last time. I couldn't even push the button with the fob either.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
When you say that it was the same place both times

Do you mean that you were next to a house or some business both times

If it was a house, do they have LED Lights, maybe even Xmas lights ?

Does the business have several lights out front, like most convenience stores ?
Or if it is a commercial building, do they have something like a machine shop in it ?

OP
OP
xcaliber

xcaliber

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Longhorn
Engine
It was inna strip mall. I've parked in 2 different places and same result. I don't think there's excessive lights out front? Just packed full of vehicles. No macking shops. In front of save on foods and marks work wear world. There's 2 mark work wear worlds here the 2nd location doesn't do it. Just the strip mall I rarely go to.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Try parking a bit further away from the Entrance to the building
I think the LED lights, cameras, etc. are interfering with the FOB transmitting signal.
Sometimes bird baths can even mess with the signal