180 thermostat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamSport1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Curious. I got a 180 stat. I have no mods. Everything is bone stock. Would it still be ok to switch from the stock to the 180 or should I leave it stock? Don't wanna do anything and then screw up my truck. Thanks.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Totally fine, one of the first things I changed out on my truck.

OP
OP
RamSport1982

RamSport1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the reply. I do plan to switch to the V6 fan soon. But until then just wanted to make sure that if I did change out the stock for the 180 that I wasn't gonna mess anything up.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you swap to the electric fan you are going to need a custom tune or the fan won't come on until 222 degrees. Or you will need to run the AC all the time to make the fan come on. But just the Tstat alone will be fine.

I would also do an AGS delete too if you want the truck to run cooler.

OP
OP
RamSport1982

RamSport1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you swap to the electric fan you are going to need a custom tune or the fan won't come on until 222 degrees. Or you will need to run the AC all the time to make the fan come on. But just the Tstat alone will be fine.

I watched a video showing how to swap out the fans and apparently since mine is a 2015 you can't just simply plug in a tune like you could with the 2014's and earlier Ram's. Is that true and if not where exactly could I get the tune needed to change the temperature for the fan?

OP
OP
RamSport1982

RamSport1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Also I've already taken out the mechanical fan. Is it still cool to switch out the stock tstat for the 180?

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I watched a video showing how to swap out the fans and apparently since mine is a 2015 you can't just simply plug in a tune like you could with the 2014's and earlier Ram's. Is that true and if not where exactly could I get the tune needed to change the temperature for the fan?
Yeah you don't need an unlocked PCM to tune your truck. I would recommend going with a custom tune from Jay Greene or Hemifever but you can use a, "canned" tune that comes with a Diablosport tuner and just adjust the fan parameters if you wanted. You are just leaving a lot of power on the table if you use the canned tunes.

Also I've already taken out the mechanical fan. Is it still cool to switch out the stock tstat for the 180?
Yup, 180 will be totally fine.

OP
OP
RamSport1982

RamSport1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah you don't need an unlocked PCM to tune your truck. I would recommend going with a custom tune from Jay Greene or Hemifever but you can use a, "canned" tune that comes with a Diablosport tuner and just adjust the fan parameters if you wanted. You are just leaving a lot of power on the table if you use the canned tunes.

Yup, 180 will be totally fine.
Sweet dude. I appreciate the info and the help

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CRAP scratch that, 2015 is the first year you WILL need an unlocked PCM. So you will need to do an exchange or send yours out to be modified. 2014 and older do not need an unlocked. Sorry about that, just looked it up to double check.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Put the mechanical fan back on,if you aren't tuned.If you get stuck in slow moving traffic,your factory A/C fan won't turn on till 220,unless you have the A/C on.Leave the clutch fan on till you get a tune,even with a 180 thermostat.

OP
OP
RamSport1982

RamSport1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Put the mechanical fan back on,if you aren't tuned.If you get stuck in slow moving traffic,your factory A/C fan won't turn on till 220,unless you have the A/C on.Leave the clutch fan on till you get a tune,even with a 180 thermostat.
I would but the clutch was starting to go out. I went ahead and removed it. I was either gonna replace the clutch or go with the V6 electric fan. Based on everything I've read and all the things I gotta do with tuning the fan so it comes on before 220 I'm just gonna replace the clutch and put everything back together. I don't drive much and when I do it's mostly highway driving anyway. I'd already planned on running the A/C to run the fan if I got stuck in traffic for a long period of time.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I would but the clutch was starting to go out. I went ahead and removed it. I was either gonna replace the clutch or go with the V6 electric fan. Based on everything I've read and all the things I gotta do with tuning the fan so it comes on before 220 I'm just gonna replace the clutch and put everything back together. I don't drive much and when I do it's mostly highway driving anyway. I'd already planned on running the A/C to run the fan if I got stuck in traffic for a long period of time.
The 180 T-stat will still work with the clutch fan and no tuning.Even when the clutch fan is disengaged,it'll still pull enough air through the rad to keep your engine temps under 200.

OP
OP
RamSport1982

RamSport1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 180 T-stat will still work with the clutch fan and no tuning.Even when the clutch fan is disengaged,it'll still pull enough air through the rad to keep your engine temps under 200.
I went ahead and put the mech. fan back on just in case. I hate that I had to with the clutch going bad but it's better than not having it on. The temps are back down to where they are normally. What's strange is the temps are still a little over 200 with the 180 thermo. Is that pretty normal? I've never had to replace a thermostat let alone one that would help keep an engine cooler so I'm just a little curious and hoping that's pretty normal.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went ahead and put the mech. fan back on just in case. I hate that I had to with the clutch going bad but it's better than not having it on. The temps are back down to where they are normally. What's strange is the temps are still a little over 200 with the 180 thermo. Is that pretty normal? I've never had to replace a thermostat let alone one that would help keep an engine cooler so I'm just a little curious and hoping that's pretty normal.
Active grille shutters

OP
OP
RamSport1982

RamSport1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gotcha. Never had a vehicle with a AGS. But I read somewhere that deleting them would really help with the cooling. I might just go ahead and do it.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Gotcha. Never had a vehicle with a AGS. But I read somewhere that deleting them would really help with the cooling. I might just go ahead and do it.
Just pop the middle shutters out,leave 1 top and 1 bottom shutter in on both sides,and you'll reap the majority of the benefits of deleting them,with no codes or extra motor arm stops needed aka delete kit

OP
OP
RamSport1982

RamSport1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just pop the middle shutters out,leave 1 top and 1 bottom shutter in on both sides,and you'll reap the majority of the benefits of deleting them,with no codes or extra motor arm stops needed aka delete kit
Got it. Thanks for the tip

tom martley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Curious. I got a 180 stat. I have no mods. Everything is bone stock. Would it still be ok to switch from the stock to the 180 or should I leave it stock? Don't wanna do anything and then screw up my truck. Thanks.
Engines are more efficient when they run at hotter temps. The factory has determined what temp to run at, leave things alone