1981 Ram D150

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricky_Ricardo831

Reaction score
I recently took on the project on getting a 1981 Ram D150 running again. It belonged to my wife’s great grandfather. I’m unsure why it won’t start, in appearance everything seems fine. Engine looks good, tranny as well. I have replaced, new battery, gas filter, fuel pump, spark plugs. The engine runs over but it won’t start. As my wife’s great grandfather got too elderly to drive. My wife’s father would disconnect the distributor cables to avoid him from driving. I’ve had 3 mechanics look at it with no luck. With not many reliable mechanics in my area. I’m hoping for some advise. I believe the distributor cables are not in order. The timing could also be off. I’m really not sure the truck has not been running for about a year and 1/2. However, the in-laws say the car was running like a charm before then. Any help would be appreciated.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Have you checked the basics? Do all the plugs get spark? Compression test on every cylinder? Confirmed the carb is providing fuel? Outside of timing, which might be an issue, but you'd usually get some kind of backfire with poor timing, you need fuel, compression and spark.

Start with the basics. Those are very simple engines.

If I were a betting man I'd put money on the carb being gummed up. Try some starting fluid. Couple squirts directly in to the carb and see if it fires. If it does you know the carb is the culprit.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you checked the basics? Do all the plugs get spark? Compression test on every cylinder? Confirmed the carb is providing fuel? Outside of timing, which might be an issue, but you'd usually get some kind of backfire with poor timing, you need fuel, compression and spark.

Start with the basics. Those are very simple engines.

If I were a betting man I'd put money on the carb being gummed up. Try some starting fluid. Couple squirts directly in to the carb and see if it fires. If it does you know the carb is the culprit.
Them old 2 BBL Carters liked to gum up, especially the jets if not run, or if U let sit with fuel in the carb and bowl.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357