1985 W150 4x4 System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dragon Slayer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is it beneficial to install a Free Spin, Locking Hub set? How much work is involved in the conversion?

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had locking hubs on my old '79 Dodge W250 that had W350 front Dana 50, rear Dana 60, limited slip axles and a full gear (no chain) xfer case in it. If properly maintained they stronger and more reliable than the new "flip a switch" hubs. Just need get out to manually engage / disengage the hubs.

I would go back to that setup in a heartbeat. NEVER got stuck in snow or beach sand / rocks.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Had locking hubs on many 4x4s. It is a great system, nearly bullet proof, and gave you the ability to truly disengage the front axles. Had them on Landcruisers, Jeeps, Land Rovers, Toyota pickups, 4 Runners and even a couple of Dodges and a few Chevies. Never had an issue on any of them. Greased the hubs and front bearings regularly because those vehicles spent a lot of time in deep mud, swamp and water.

There used to be quite a wide variety of makers back in the day. They were pretty simple to install, but my bet is probably only Warn and maybe one or two others are still making these hubs. Let us know how the project goes.